Acer adds AG3600 to Aspire Predator desktop line

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

With CES upon us, Acer has taken the opportunity to update its Aspire Predator gaming desktop series, adding a third version alongside the Predator G5 and G7 -- the latter of which we reviewed a few months ago. Externally, the new Predator AG3600 favors a less aggressive design than the G7, but it features similar black and orange color scheme.

The system packs Intel's new Core i5-2300 processor with Turbo Boost 2.0 and H67 chipset, 8GB of DDR3 RAM, and 1.5TB of storage. It's odd that Acer has opted for Nvidia's GeForce GT 420 graphics card, which is hardly ideal for modern gaming, and if you're buying a pre-assembled rig, you probably don't want to be hassled with swapping GPUs.

Connectivity includes three PCIe x1 slots (no mention of spare x16 slots), 10 USB 2.0 ports (four on top, six in back -- no word of USB 3.0), mini-HDMI, DVI and VGA outputs, as well as a multi-card reader. The AG3600 is available today with a one-year warranty for $899, and while won't go as far as calling the system overpriced, it sure seems like a poor value.

Permalink to story.

i5-2300 and GT 420, I would call it over priced, especially for $900.
For $900 a DIYer could throw together an 8GB RAM, i5-750 / Phenom II X4 965, GTS 450 / GTX 460 system...

On the contrary, promote him!
Keep building machines like this Acer, more business for me :)

WoW!

A gaming PC with a gaming case, a great processor and then a HTPC card. WTF!

They should at least put a GTS450.

Acer - mor0n and idi0t.

Ill make my grandmother wear a miniskirt for acer,

Indeed a shiny paintjob. But comparing it to it's rivals, it doesn't stand up in a virtual firefight.

Honestly Acer, a premade machine that requires of you to replace some of it's components prior to use, is not a machine made for instant 1337-gaming...

Back