Acer, Asus take first and fourth place in Western Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Taiwanese PC makers commanded a vast portion of the computer market share in Western Europe during the first quarter of 2010, according to Gartner. Acer and Asus "defied the economic conditions" being the only companies among the top five to increase share during the period, with Asus growing the fastest. Acer held the number one position at 23.4%, while Asus claimed number four with 7.9% -- nearly doubling its 4.8% share from a year ago and witnessing an 85% jump in revenue to $2.4 billion.

Gartner believes that much of that success is due to netbook and entry-level notebook sales, which consumers find appealing for their lower prices. Despite the oncoming wave of tablet entries, netbook shipments will rise to 34.5 million units this year and 58.3 million units by 2014, according to research outfit iSuppli.

Information about the remaining positions wasn't provided, though HP, Dell, and Toshiba seem like probable candidates.

Permalink to story.

I would like to see the prize Acer takes after one year of use, and after two years of use. Our shops are too often full of Acers.

What laptops took place 2 and place 3 in those ratings... Since there are only 9 major players, where were Dell, HP, Compaq, Sony, Gateway, eMachines, and Lenovo ?

Wouldn't Gateway and eMachines be together with Acer since they own those brands? Same with HP owning Compaq.

these results mean that people buy things if the price is reasonable.
i am also planning on changing this old vaio. i just need something that
can play full HD videos and something for casual gaming. that's it.

don't need a powerful laptop that will break the bank.

If you want to watch full HD videos I believe you need something bigger than a netbook screen to really use the "power" of full HD. But what do I know :)

Well the laptops I see in my local hardware shop (Fona) are mostly HP, Acer, Lenovo and Apple. Can't really remember seeing Asus, Dell and especially not Toshiba.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back