Acer CEO: Microsoft is coming back down to earth with Windows 8.1

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Windows 8 hasn’t exactly been the catalyst for change that many in the industry were banking on. Part of the problem has to do with Microsoft’s implementation of touch – a feature that works great if you’re on a tablet or notebook with a touchscreen but not so well for the average desktop user. This is just one of the many issues that are being addressed with the upcoming Windows 8 update according to at least one PC OEM executive.

Acer CEO J.T. Wang recently told The Wall Street Journal that Microsoft is making a number of changes to Windows 8 thanks largely in part to input from OEMs. Wang is the first to concede that touch delivers a ton of possibilities to PCs but Microsoft also needs to take care of the rest of the world that doesn’t need touch.

acer ceo windows microsoft earth acer windows 8.1

Other big changes are likely in store for Windows 8 as well with the pending update. Earlier this week Microsoft’s Julie Larson-Green confirmed that a public preview of Windows Blue will be launched during the company’s Build conference next month. Specific features weren’t mentioned but most expect to see the return of the Start Button as well as an option to boot directly to the desktop – effectively bypassing the Modern UI for users that don’t need it.

According to Wang, it’s a transitional period for Microsoft – a company that was once considered to “live in heaven.” With the update, Wang said Microsoft is coming back down to earth after learning how people living on earth think.

Permalink to story.

Still waiting... IF it gets a proper desktop experience, I'll buy it....

Please, enlighten us. Windows 8 does offer a proper desktop experience.
Please stop, we know what we think is a proper desktop experience. This desktop joke that MS put out, can only be considered proper on touch devices and small screens. You may have a different opinion, but that doesn't mean we can't have ours. The only time Windows will be a proper desktop experience is when the majority can agree. From what I have seen and heard your opinion seems to be the minority. But then thats just my opinion as well.

Please stop, we know what we think is a proper desktop experience. This desktop joke that MS put out, can only be considered proper on touch devices and small screens. You may have a different opinion, but that doesn't mean we can't have ours. The only time Windows will be a proper desktop experience is when the majority can agree. From what I have seen and heard your opinion seems to be the minority. But then thats just my opinion as well.

How exactly it it that different? - I hit my windows key, I click the application I want to launch. If I need to search for something more specific, I start typing.

And mine, and another persons, and anothers and so on and so fourth. Lawfer more than likely 1)is a troll for Microsoft, 2)a tablet user who migrated to a desktop after having been weaned on tablets so he thinks it the "shizzle", or 3)someone who only uses Windows 8 to watch YouTube videos and post twitter updates to his friends.

My honest estimate of how many people are adopting Windows 8 as "wonderful" is as compared to Windows 7 is a ratio of 1 to 4. Every one person who upgraded to Windows 8 just thinks it's the bomb because 1)it boots faster. Yes, that is the number 1 reason people "love" Windows 8. Because....its boots faster. Sure Microsoft had to completely abolish the Aero interface to improve system responsiveness but now people can see the pretty purple square tiles much much faster than they used to be able to.

If he return of the 'start' button is just an easier way to get to the horrific Metro interface then we can subtract 1 point from Microsoft for that. Which is what it is from what I have heard. Which leaves the only new accommodation for 75% of Windows users as being a boot straight to desktop. Big deal. Most people just don't want to sit 12" from their screen all day and swipe it to get things done. That's something a 3 year old might enjoy. I stopped playing with my etch-a-sketch a long time ago. And I have no interest in rekindling those childhood memories.

Microsoft recently reported 100 million Windows 8 licenses have been sold. Now if we only knew how many of those people who have purchased Windows 8 had buyers remorse we could predict the future of Windows 8. The only way for it to survive is to continue to slowly creep back towards what it once was. That's what most people want.

Does anybody know how many years of licenses an OEM might make a purchase for at a time? Im wondering if Microsoft gave the OEMs a really sweet deal on pricing if they stocked up for more years than normal just because of the low price......???

There's no argument that 100 million licenses is a big number since there are...what....300 milliion people in America? Haha. If that number reflected the actual number of people using Windows 8 it would be 1 in 3 people. And we all know that ain't happening right now.

I would also like to know how many licenses were sold in America versus the world.

How exactly it it that different? - I hit my windows key, I click the application I want to launch. If I need to search for something more specific, I start typing.
Not everyone uses Windows the same way you or I do. Personally I don't need the Start Menu or the Start Screen. I can do everything I want to do through my third party file manager. You don't introduce a proper desktop experience while killing the desktop experience everyone is used to. Just because you was not adversely effected doesn't mean thats the case with everyone.

Now to attack your comeback. Windows Key what? Yes I know what it is and yes I sometimes use it.
  1. On a OS that is designed for touch, why the requirement of Windows Key's.
  2. On a OS that is designed for mouse, why the requirement of Windows Key's.
Window's Key's should be used for shortcuts not requirements. Windows should be diverse to satisfy a larger user base. Ever since Windows 3.11, Windows has been designed for mouse control. Operating by keyboard has always been possible but very difficult. Just because Microsoft wants to design a OS for touch doesn't mean they should abandon the mouse and fall back to the keyboard which they themselves have neglected for more than a decade. I grow tired of everyone asking, whats so bad about Windows 8. I'm asking whats so bad about operating by mouse that it can't be kept as an option as we move forward?

Just looking at the picture in the article... The sky opens, and Microsoft condescends to us, the people of earth... And from the article text it also sounds exactly like that. Even by Microsoft standards that's low.

I would suggest another picture to the series where people gather under the sky opening, stretch their hands towards the opening holding the finger - "Shove it up, Microsoft!". That would correctly express the reality on the market, I think...

Anybody with good painting skills?

Just looking at the picture in the article... The sky opens, and Microsoft condescends to us, the people of earth... And from the article text it also sounds exactly like that. Even by Microsoft standards that's low.

I would suggest another picture to the series where people gather under the sky opening, stretch their hands towards the opening holding the finger - "Shove it up, Microsoft!". That would correctly express the reality on the market, I think...

Anybody with with good painting skills?

The advocate for Windows 8 suggesting we all give Microsoft the finger? I am confused....

And mine, and another persons, and anothers and so on and so fourth. Lawfer more than likely 1)is a troll for Microsoft, 2)a tablet user who migrated to a desktop after having been weaned on tablets so he thinks it the "shizzle", or 3)someone who only uses Windows 8 to watch YouTube videos and post twitter updates to his friends.

My honest estimate of how many people are adopting Windows 8 as "wonderful" is as compared to Windows 7 is a ratio of 1 to 4. Every one person who upgraded to Windows 8 just thinks it's the bomb because 1)it boots faster. Yes, that is the number 1 reason people "love" Windows 8. Because....its boots faster. Sure Microsoft had to completely abolish the Aero interface to improve system responsiveness but now people can see the pretty purple square tiles much much faster than they used to be able to.

If he return of the 'start' button is just an easier way to get to the horrific Metro interface then we can subtract 1 point from Microsoft for that. Which is what it is from what I have heard. Which leaves the only new accommodation for 75% of Windows users as being a boot straight to desktop. Big deal. Most people just don't want to sit 12" from their screen all day and swipe it to get things done. That's something a 3 year old might enjoy. I stopped playing with my etch-a-sketch a long time ago. And I have no interest in rekindling those childhood memories.

Microsoft recently reported 100 million Windows 8 licenses have been sold. Now if we only knew how many of those people who have purchased Windows 8 had buyers remorse we could predict the future of Windows 8. The only way for it to survive is to continue to slowly creep back towards what it once was. That's what most people want.

It's amazing how much has been written in these two comments, and yet so little has been said.

None of you have answered my inquiry. And trust me, I'll wait.

Microsoft should do something actually innovative and just build support for multiple shells right into Windows. They could be bold and release a true "classic shell" of their own that perfectly emulated Windows XP. Most of XP's functions are still in there anyway, their just disabled. Between this and Windows compatibility modes 99% of users and businesses would be more than satisfied. Microsoft could even have an annual contest for "the next great Windows UI" with the shell community putting out their best unpatented work. If Microsoft used their ideas they'd get some credit, maybe a little swag and possibly a job offer it their good enough. Everybody wins. But what will we get instead? Foot-dragging, lame excuses and "legacy" features that really don't work like the tried-and-true. My predictions: still no start menu, still no Aero and still no option to disable the accursed ribbon. What we'll get instead is a tweaked Metro/Modern with virtually no fixes to the rubbish Windows 8 desktop.

I still use windows 7, and I used 8 for a little bit on a asus tablet and I must say its pretty nice for touch. Cant see myself using it on desktop though no matter what ms does. For now windows 7 does all I need it to do. Also someone's about to get lawfered. Its been a while lol

None of you have answered my inquiry. And trust me, I'll wait.
You are obviously ignoring our comments so why bother explaining once again. But since you missed one of my reasons above, I'll shorten it for you. Loss of mouse control, needing to press keyboard shortcuts equates to less than proper desktop experience, when the majority would probably rather simply use their mouse. Even SNGX1275 mentioned wishing he could mimic touch capabilities with a mouse. The loss or absence of mouse functionality (and yes I do expect you to twist this around to suit your own opinion) is where it fails at at a proper desktop experience. Personally though I have my own hatred with cosmetics as well.

Not everyone uses Windows the same way you or I do. Personally I don't need the Start Menu or the Start Screen. I can do everything I want to do through my third party file manager. You don't introduce a proper desktop experience while killing the desktop experience everyone is used to. Just because you was not adversely effected doesn't mean thats the case with everyone.

Now to attack your comeback. Windows Key what? Yes I know what it is and yes I sometimes use it.
  1. On a OS that is designed for touch, why the requirement of Windows Key's.
  2. On a OS that is designed for mouse, why the requirement of Windows Key's

Instead of using the windows key, I can just click the bottom left corner to do they exact same thing. I fail to see what I could do with a mouse in Windows 7, that I cant with 8

Instead of using the windows key, I can just click the bottom right corner to do they exact same thing. I fail to see what I could do with a mouse in Windows 7, that I cant with 8
Let me put it this way. Microsoft felt the need to use the entire screen for their Start Screen. While at the same time taking away all visuals of the capability you mention. While thinking of these two sentences, I find it very difficult to support your comment.

They have since realized their mistake and have decided to bring back the start button. But they still have not learned as a desktop user with a mouse, we don't need our entire screen to navigate apps. And we damn sure don't need our apps color coded, as if we are in preschool learning our colors. The whole concept of the push toward touch is insulting. I can understand migrating to touch eventually, we don't need to be pushed by MS in that direction. We will eventually migrate on our own, as new tech becomes available to everyone.

Matt, the people you're debating with here are too goddamned lazy to hit the Windows button, and anything unfamiliar scares the piss out of them. History has shown this in so many ways.

Matt, the people you're debating with here are too goddamned lazy to hit the Windows button, and anything unfamiliar scares the piss out of them. History has shown this in so many ways.
Well well, looks like we have our first volunteer. All MS needs to do now is say the word. To access your apps you first need to jump off a sky scraper. Yeah I know it sounded silly, but so did your comment.

Let me put it this way. Microsoft felt the need to use the entire screen for their Start Screen. While at the same time taking away all visuals of the capability you mention. While thinking of these two sentences, I find it very difficult to support your comment.

They have since realized their mistake and have decided to bring back the start button. But they still have not learned as a desktop user with a mouse, we don't need our entire screen to navigate apps. And we damn sure don't need our apps color coded, as if we are in preschool learning our colors. The whole concept of the push toward touch is insulting. I can understand migrating to touch eventually, we don't need to be pushed by MS in that direction. We will eventually migrate on our own, as new tech becomes available to everyone.

OK. I can kinda see how it taking the whole screen might somewhat be annoying, I happen to have the luxury of two monitors, so that does not happen. However in essence, it is the exact same thing.

When you hit the start menu in Windows 7, essentially you are focused on the start menu untill you find what you are looking for. When you click away onto the desktop, it disappears and you go back to what you were doing before. That is exactly the same thing that happens in Windows 8.

As far as full screen apps go, yes I agree that they are not always ideal. I use 2. However, when I am looking for my quick news fill for the day, I hit the news app and read a few articles.

The beauty of it is you don't need to use it at all. The apps are at your disposal, however you don't need to use them at all. You can immerse yourself in your traditional desktop experience, and a in essence, a similar start screen in usage.

OK. I can kinda see how it taking the whole screen might somewhat be annoying, I happen to have the luxury of two monitors, so that does not happen. However in essence, it is the exact same thing.

When you hit the start menu in Windows 7, essentially you are focused on the start menu untill you find what you are looking for. When you click away onto the desktop, it disappears and you go back to what you were doing before. That is exactly the same thing that happens in Windows 8.

As far as full screen apps go, yes I agree that they are not always ideal. I use 2. However, when I am looking for my quick news fill for the day, I hit the news app and read a few articles.

The beauty of it is you don't need to use it at all. The apps are at your disposal, however you don't need to use them at all. You can immerse yourself in your traditional desktop experience, and a in essence, a similar start screen in usage.

The true beauty of Windows 8 is that there is no federal law that requires I purchase it and install it. That's the true beauty that one has to meditate on to appreciate it. Your right. I don't have to use any of the apps or the metro interface. And mark it down on your scratchpad. I wont.

The advocate for Windows 8 suggesting we all give Microsoft the finger? I am confused....

I've never been a Windows 8 advocate. I stated what I believed was true about the OS, and what was not. Trying to paint everything in black color on your side wasn't objective. There are a number of areas where Windows 8 succeeds.

The desktop environment we've grown accustomed to have been honed , tweaked, and refined over a period of decades.

So here comes a "guest" talking down to us a luddites, simply because we choose to do our computing with a mouse, and not as some shot nose child, smearing, strained peas all over a high chair food tray. Oh well, whatever floats your rubber duck, I suppose.

And because because I know there condescending !$#@%^&* like you in the world, I always give my nose a good stout picking, before I rent a movie at Redbox....

If you're that infatuated with touch, why not visit Wacom: http://www.wacom.com/en/products/pen-tablets/intuos grab one of their tablets, and put all that nervous energy to some constructive use.
710x440_PTH650_01.jpg

The desktop environment...
Commenting purely on the picture, because it is a stupid one. Painters who utilize this kind of technology also use much bigger screens, so you can see clearly every line you are drawing. Today it would be at least a 30" monitor with precise color reproduction, like the new DELL U3014. Anything less, and benefits of the technology are gone, he would be better off with the usual canvas.

Back