Acer CEO resigns amid disagreements with company board

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Acer CEO Gianfranco Lanci resigned today following strong disagreements with the company's board about Acer's ongoing strategy. "On the company's future development, Lanci held different views from a majority of the board members and could not reach a consensus following several months' of dialogue," said the company's press release.

"[Both sides] placed different levels of importance on scale, growth, customer value creation, brand position enhancement, and on resource allocation and methods of implementation." Analysts believe that much of the tension derived from Acer's weak presence in the booming tablet sector, which largely remains dominated by Apple's iPad.

"The management change shows that Acer is taking responsibility in what has happened recently, but whether it is positive to the company in the long run will depend on who takes over as the CEO and the measures he is going to take," said Bevan Yeh of Prudential Financial Securities Investment Trust. "Acer does not have an edge in the tablet market."

Chairman J.T. Wang will step in as CEO until a permanent replacement is found. In a statement, Wang said PCs would remain the core of Acer's business, but the company is stepping into and cautiously investing in the new mobile device market. Reading between the lines, we assume the "new" part is referring to tablet and smartphones.

Permalink to story.

Every business is trying to jump on the tablet bandwagon. I'm with the Microsoft guy on this one (!); this segment is going to collapse. It's getting overburdened with all the companies trying to squeeze in. I think tablets are a gadget that will become dated.

Wait for some notebooks shifting to tablet like form, and whit a real OS the tablet market will suffer a lot.

Ah he’s the ceo of the acer. Now I know who to blame for the low angles view of my acer notebook (7740) :)

What could have possibly happened to make a person resign from the CEO position of one of the top 5 laptop makers in the world?

No but really, in my case, not even if one of the board of directors had slept with my wife, I'd ever resign from such position. But, that's just me...

lawfer said:
What could have possibly happened to make a person resign from the CEO position of one of the top 5 laptop makers in the world?

No but really, in my case, not even if one of the board of directors had slept with my wife, I'd ever resign from such position. But, that's just me...

Now he will be getting the same position in one of the rest of laptop makers with hopes that he will take them alittle bit higher in the list...

And about your wife and the job, if you have so many years getting so much money, you would not think about resignin, he already have enough to live...

Back