Acer T180 won't boot

Mark Fuller

My friend has an acer t180 with windows xp media center and 1g of ram with a 250gb hdd. when i try to boot it has an error message that says that it failed to boot on last attempt and gives me the options of safe mode, safe mode with networking and command prompt, last known good configuration and start windows normally. No matter what I do it gives a blue screen momentarily which doesn't give me enough time to write down the error codes and then comes back to the original error screen.

1.Boot from the XP disc and select "R" when asked to go into the Recovery Console. You will need to enter the bios and set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order.

2.When you reach the command prompt, type the following and then press Enter.

fixmbr

3.The fixmbr utility will write a master boot record to the hard drive that you're currently using to boot into Windows XP. This will repair any corruption or damage that the master boot record may have.

4.Take out the Windows XP CD, type exit and then press Enter to restart your PC.

Assuming that a corrupt master boot record was your only issue, Windows XP should now start normally.

Back