Acer x223w display problems (boot sequence)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightcat711

Greetings!

I just bought myself a 22" Acer x223w, that I connected to my computer equiped with a GeForce Nvidia 7600GS videocard, and running under Windows Vista Home Edition.

The problem is when I connect the screen numeric (HDMI) instead of analogic (VGA), and after I installed the proper monitor driver, when I boot the computer I have a "Input not supported" on my monitor until I arrive in the Vista prompt (password), but I no longer see the Windows logo screen during the booting.

If I connect the monitor analogic, the problem does not happen. Only happen by connecting numeric way.

My screen resolution is set for 1680x1050.

Anyone have an idea on how to solve this problem? It's not a very big deal since I am still able to use the monitor, but I hate knowing that something is not right. :)

Thanks a lot for you help.

NC

That is no indication that your system is "not right."
If it runs properly otherwise, your system is likely fine.

That is no indication that your system is "not right."
If it runs properly otherwise, your system is likely fine.

Hi!

Something worst happened... now my monitor remain in "input not supported" all the time, even when windows is fully load... only way to make it work is to replace my numeric cable (hdmi) for the analog (vga) otherwise I don't see a thing on my monitor...

I called Acer Support line, and the guy who answered to my call is telling me that the monitor is fine and that it is my PC who's not fine... this is the LAST time I am purchasing Acer products. :(

If anyone knows what is my problem, don't hesitate to step in this thread.

Thanks again.

NC

The Acer guy is probably not right... Your settings for that 7600 graphics card may be incorrect in someway, but otherwise, the ACER is acting goofy. Send it back to the place you purchased it... if your settings are indeed correct... Some settings can be out of range, particularly on the better graphics cards, so read your 7600 manual.
Acers are a pretty low-end video screen, and their output range may be limited to a certain low resolution... which you should be able to adjust to test in your Display settings.

The Acer guy is probably not right... Your settings for that 7600 graphics card may be incorrect in someway, but otherwise, the ACER is acting goofy. Send it back to the place you purchased it... if your settings are indeed correct... Some settings can be out of range, particularly on the better graphics cards, so read your 7600 manual.
Acers are a pretty low-end video screen, and their output range may be limited to a certain low resolution... which you should be able to adjust to test in your Display settings.

I am tired of Acer technicians... whenever you call Acer to report a hardware problem they are always trying to clean their hands and blame the customer for the problem... they just can't admit that there is a problem with there materials...

This the LAST time I am purchasing Acer products.. I will pay more the get other most trusted brands. I have the same "input not supported" message on my X203W and X223W and mysteriously no problem when I connect my Dell 2008WFP... I told the Acer guy and he kept telling me that there is no problems with my Acer monitors.

The material is still under waranty but without a RMA I can't return the monitors to Acer... :( so in other words, I am fuc*** up! :(

Just tell them the input has stopped working all together and doesn't recognize signals from anything at all. This is your problem so its not lying and should get your RMA, if not then tell them it doesn't turn on. Eventually they will have to cave. Personally I have an Acer x244w (or something) and it works fine, it is a little slow when changing resolutions and turning on compared to my older Hanns-G 19" but the picture quality is good enough for me and supports all the resolutions I can throw at it. Also I would like to suggest there being a refresh rate problem, those sometimes spring up at the most inconvenient times. It use to happen to my Hanns-G all the time that the refresh rate would get set to 75Hz though not supported, I then had to change to VGA and manually reset the DVI output to 60Hz. A driver update got rid of this problem. So try updating your drivers if you have not recently.

Just tell them the input has stopped working all together and doesn't recognize signals from anything at all. This is your problem so its not lying and should get your RMA, if not then tell them it doesn't turn on. Eventually they will have to cave. Personally I have an Acer x244w (or something) and it works fine, it is a little slow when changing resolutions and turning on compared to my older Hanns-G 19" but the picture quality is good enough for me and supports all the resolutions I can throw at it. Also I would like to suggest there being a refresh rate problem, those sometimes spring up at the most inconvenient times. It use to happen to my Hanns-G all the time that the refresh rate would get set to 75Hz though not supported, I then had to change to VGA and manually reset the DVI output to 60Hz. A driver update got rid of this problem. So try updating your drivers if you have not recently.

Hi Adhmuz,

Thanks for your output, and to answer to your question I already updated all drivers I could think of (monitor & video card) but still having the same problem.

Can you tell me if the refresh rate must be set at 60Hz or higher? Also, when I updated the monitor driver, from Acer web site, I endup with two different drivers for both my monitors... X223W & X223W NUMERIC... I installed the NUMERIC thinking that I had the solution to my problem but no improvements :(

Also changed my HDMI cables thinking it was the source of the problem, but didn't change a thing.

At this point, I am clueless... :(

Did you buy it directly from Acer? Or from an online store, or a local store? Return it to where you got it, and scream consumer fraud to your local consumer protection agency.

Out local White Elephant, which accepts donations to refurbish and reuse for people who need them is being swamped with Acer monitors, and Acer Computers.
Acer recently purchased eMachines, so we are just starting to see the depth of the Acer problems.

Can you tell me if the refresh rate must be set at 60Hz or higher? Also, when I updated the monitor driver, from Acer web site, I endup with two different drivers for both my monitors... X223W & X223W NUMERIC... I installed the NUMERIC thinking that I had the solution to my problem but no improvements :(

Also changed my HDMI cables thinking it was the source of the problem, but didn't change a thing.(
The refresh should be set to 60Hz, and the resolution should be set to the monitor's native resolution which is >> 1680 x 1050 <<, nothing more, nothing less.

The pictures of this particular monitor show DVI and analog interfaces. So, how do you arrive at an HDMI connection? I doubt that a 7600GT was made with HDMI, but that's only a guess, stranger things have happened.

Boot into safe mode F8 after BIOS, and enter "VGA" mode using the arrow keys. After Windows boots, reset the monitor to the resolution and refresh rate I have provided.

No help, post back with the answer to my "HDMI" connection question.

Did you buy it directly from Acer? Or from an online store, or a local store? Return it to where you got it, and scream consumer fraud to your local consumer protection agency.

Out local White Elephant, which accepts donations to refurbish and reuse for people who need them is being swamped with Acer monitors, and Acer Computers.
Acer recently purchased eMachines, so we are just starting to see the depth of the Acer problems.

I bought my X203W at a Walmart store (14 days returned policy already expired), and I got my X223W from my local Staples store (Bureau en Gros in Canada) w/o an extended store waranty, and the store returned policy expired also...

So I can only rely on the manufacturer's waranty at this moment.

The refresh should be set to 60Hz, and the resolution should be set to the monitor's native resolution which is >> 1680 x 1050 <<, nothing more, nothing less.

The pictures of this particular monitor show DVI and analog interfaces. So, how do you arrive at an HDMI connection? I doubt that a 7600GT was made with HDMI, but that's only a guess, stranger things have happened.

Boot into safe mode F8 after BIOS, and enter "VGA" mode using the arrow keys. After Windows boots, reset the monitor to the resolution and refresh rate I have provided.

No help, post back with the answer to my "HDMI" connection question.

Hmmm must admit that I screwed up with my HDMI cable.. you're right, it's a DVI cable that I changed... don't know why I am always mixed up with the proper term to use... :p

Thanks for pointing the fact to my attention... I will try the BIOS thing and will get back to you.

:)

No...Listen....

I will try the BIOS thing and will get back to you.
The "F8" issue is a "Safe Mode" of Windows, not a BIOS issue.

You wait until the BIOS screens pass, then press F8 until Windows gives you a text screen. Then select "VGA" mode with the with the up/down arrow keys and press enter. Reboot, and reset your "properties" settings for your monitor as I suggested.

Now, a monitor should be PnP (plug and play) with either type of connection, DVI or analog.

The quickest way to isolate the issue is to plug the monitor into another machine. Actually "another's" machine that hopefully knows a bit more about computers.

So, call a friend.

The "F8" issue is a "Safe Mode" of Windows, not a BIOS issue.

You wait until the BIOS screens pass, then press F8 until Windows gives you a text screen. Then select "VGA" mode with the with the up/down arrow keys and press enter. Reboot, and reset your "properties" settings for your monitor as I suggested.

Now, a monitor should be PnP (plug and play) with either type of connection, DVI or analog.

The quickest way to isolate the issue is to plug the monitor into another machine. Actually "another's" machine that hopefully knows a bit more about computers.

So, call a friend.

After the monitor type is PnP in the settings, should I make sure it is set back to my Acer X223W or I should leave it PnP monitor set in Windows?

Thanks for your help and again sorry if I may need some time to understand.

Sincerely.

Hi Captain,

I followed your instructions and now I am in DVI mode, it's working although when my computer boot in dos mode I am no longer able to see the display nor the vista animated loading bar... the screen says "no input supported" until I arrive in Vista prompt screen then the monitor is coming back alive.

Is it normal that I lost the boot DOS (boot) screen at the beginning?

This is an issue that is best solved by substitution, (different monitor).

But first, did you set the monitor's properties as I suggested? (resolution & refresh rate).

If you revert to the analog cable, is all as it should be now?

As to disabling PnP in favor of the explicit type of monitor, that doesn't seem necessary, since with PnP enabled, the computer should be able to detect whatever type of monitor is connected. (They talk to one another).

My personal experience has been that, the boot process is identical with the same monitor hooked either in analog or DVI. In other words if the screen blacks ot in analog, it will black out at the same point in digital. Disclaimer, all my boxes are XP.

This is an issue that is best solved by substitution, (different monitor).

But first, did you set the monitor's properties as I suggested? (resolution & refresh rate).

If you revert to the analog cable, is all as it should be now?

As to disabling PnP in favor of the explicit type of monitor, that doesn't seem necessary, since with PnP enabled, the computer should be able to detect whatever type of monitor is connected. (They talk to one another).

My personal experience has been that, the boot process is identical with the same monitor hooked either in analog or DVI. In other words if the screen blacks ot in analog, it will black out at the same point in digital. Disclaimer, all my boxes are XP.

What I did, if I understand you correctely, was to reboot my computer in safe mode, so when I was in Vista the screen res was at its minimum... I went in "display properties" and everything seems to be at minimum... so after I reboot the pc in normal way and when I was in Vista desktop I unplugged the analogic cable and connected the DVI. Then Vista told me (small box at the bottom on the right) that there was a change in my resolution. Everything was running good at this point.

It's only when I shutdown and reboot that I was no longer able to see the writing in dos while Vista was loading. I was able to see it when I was connected with the VGA cable. It's only when Vista is loaded that I start seeing things on the screen.

The thing very weird is when I had my 20" Dell 2007WFP connected to the same computer with DVI cable (not analogic) I was able to see the normal booting process in dos & the Vista bar loading. It's only the X223W that is not getting any signal while the PC is booting in the beginning.

Is that making any sense at all?

What I did, if I understand you correctely, was to reboot my computer in safe mode, so when I was in Vista the screen res was at its minimum... I went in "display properties" and everything seems to be at minimum... so after I reboot the pc in normal way and when I was in Vista desktop I unplugged the analogic cable and connected the DVI. Then Vista told me (small box at the bottom on the right) that there was a change in my resolution. Everything was running good at this point.
When you force the machine into "VGA" mode, (It's one possible "safe mode"), you reset the graphics properties to 640 X 480 Resolution. It's the only method of recovery if the resolution and refresh rate have been set "out of range" (of the monitor).
Right click the desktop, then click graphics properties, the click "display settings and get back to us.
Is that making any sense at all?

Yes, it's making sense, but the monitor is either defective or really poorly designed,. You need visual all the way through the boot process, in order to get into BIOS or safe mode.

As I said before the boot visuals should be the same with either analog or digitally tethered monitors. Suggest Acer forums, Acer Support (again), or BBB.

Hi Captain,

I was wrong before... the resolution in safe mode was 800x600.. I just can't get it to drop to 640x480, even when I force Windows in 640x480 from the F8 menu (boot)...

Any suggestions?

No, that's my mistake, is 800 x 600 VGA resolution.

I really think that this issue is resolved, provided that your current settings for the Acer are 1680 x 1050 @ 60 HZ refresh. If another monitor connected via DVI provides continous viewing through the boot procedure and the Acer does not , the Acer is either poorly designed or defective.

I think that part of the problem here is that customer support normally sucks, to one degree or another, and that is being compounded by your inability to effectively communicate the problem, at least thus far.

Now, as to whether this is a fatal flaw in the monitor, that's up to you to determine. If the monitor is "lit" when you need to access BIOS or safe mode OK. If it isn't, and you would have to substitute the monitor to access these functions there are only two choices, accept it or turn it in for repair.

640 X 480 resolution is the old NTSC TV standard, an honest mistake, if I'm allowed to say so myself.

Thank you very much Captain, and all the others who got involved trying to help me out. I am defininetely going to call back the Acer guy and ask for a unit replacement because I seriously think that there is something wrong with my X223W & X203W.

I guess this is what happen when you are aiming for low cost monitors... you get what you paid for. I now have eyes for that 300$CAN Samsung P2370... so slim and nice looking, and I am sure I will not be disapointed with this brand since I got a nice deal on a Samsung Syncmaster 2233SW for my oldest kid and beside the fact it look very nice it work like a charme! I am sure I will not be disapointed going with Samsung monitors from now on.

Too bad Acer, you had your chance and you blew it for good this time! :(

Again, thank you all! :)

Hi Captain!

I finaly solve my X223W problem... I located my credit card statement and saw that I bought an extended waranty after all... thanks god! :) So I went to the Staples store where I bought it and ask for a replacement, but unfortunately they were no longer offering this type of Acer monitor... so I asked for a different 22" from a different brand, and because the price of the other 22" available were about 100$ higher than the price of my Acer they refused the replacement even if they had the responsability to provide me an equal product if they were no longer having the original model in stock.

So after arguing for 30 minutes with the department store manager, I found myself a quiet place in the store and called an other Staples store to see if the return policy was the same... and SURPRISE it was not!!! The manager from the other store (30 min ride from where I was) invite me to come to her store where I will be having the proper treatment.... I did and I had a great deal! I came out from the other store with a brand new Dell S2209W (21.5") and a big smile in my face! The store manager also gave me a 40$ gift certificate! The manager also told me that the Sherbrooke Staples store was facing multiple customers complaints and was under close investigation by the regional office.

The Staples store in Magog (Quebec, Canada) is really a good place to buy your electronics if after sale service is important for you!

Now my Dell monitor is working like a charm and no more DVI signal lost! I am soooo happy! :) However, I am still stucked with my Acer X203W... :(

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions, I really appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back