Acer's Predator takes on high-end desktop gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member

While not meaning to take it to any extreme levels, Acer is updating its Predator desktop PC series aimed at gamers packing a lot of horsepower and the option to scale up graphics. For $2,000 you get a Core i7 930 processor, a 3-way SLI capable motherboard, 12GB of DDR3 RAM, a single GeForce GTX 470 graphics card, 1.5TB HDD and a radical chassis design with a mechanized front cover that hides a multi-card reader and various connectivity ports.

The way this system has been configured reminds me a bit of the Gateway FX gaming desktop we reviewed a couple of months back. The sheer amount of RAM is unnecessary, but nevertheless adds to the overall appeal for those easily mislead by spec figures. That's not to say the configuration is not well rounded though. The Predator cannot be configured to build, so the SLI capable motherboard is a worthwhile addition. Also the GeForce GTX 470 seems like the best choice to offer a multi-GPU upgrade option as we recently learned in our SLI vs. Crossfire shootout.

Like with the Gateway FX, Acer seems to be targeting the gamer that doesn't want to bother to build his own system, offering a good combination of components at an interesting price point. Unlike its exterior may lead you to believe, the Predator is not an extreme gaming PC, but it won't cost you like one either. Next time an SSD choice in place of that extra RAM could make for a nice option. The new Acer Predator is expected to become available from retailers immediately.

Permalink to story.

It depends on what you are doing - 12Gb of ram is great for editing photos, watching videos and playing games without having to ever wait on a disk swap. I have 9GB in my i7 and its lovely. Got 16Gb in my work pc :) Then I am using alot of virtualisation software on it. I wouldnt kick 12GB out of bed and I would have to swap sticks out to get my home PC up to 12GB from 9GB.

yukka said:
It depends on what you are doing - 12Gb of ram is great for editing photos, watching videos and playing games without having to ever wait on a disk swap. I have 9GB in my i7 and its lovely. Got 16Gb in my work pc :) Then I am using alot of virtualisation software on it. I wouldnt kick 12GB out of bed and I would have to swap sticks out to get my home PC up to 12GB from 9GB.

Man I wish I had even half those specs on my work pc. I do graphic design for signs but the boss won't upgrade my PC :(. 2 gigs of ram just isn't enough.

As for this new Predator PC, I don't really like how the case looks. I would break that thingy off the top accidentally inside a month :p.

Is the top spring loaded? I can see my cup of tea getting launched across the room if it is :)

That is one trippy looking case. How many parts do you think would break off in just a single move?

I swear they should think about including this in the next Transformers movie. I'm not kidding either. Someone email the director NOW.

Acer owns Gateway/eMachines, That's whey they are so closely related.

Everytime u want too put in a DVD u have to lift the front up, which could hit ur desk if u got it underneath, also if u got something in the front usb or phone jack u would have to take it out, looks like a few design flaws

That thing looks like a predator, so at least it would keep any kids away from it. I guess since I'm a guy who builds my own towers I'm not in the target market and thats why I find all these "h4rdcor3 l33tz0r" machines to look slightly different from what my dog makes when she goes in the backyard.

Also, I just don't get why the hell you put a hood on a PC. Hoods are for cars.

dummybait said:
What the hell does Jesus have to do with it? lol

After seeing this thing, he'll be wondering why he bothered to die for our sins. I don't even think a second coming would be able to atone for the hideous design, either.

I don't think Asus will sell many of these. Anyone with a need for that much computer will take a look at the case and then run to a company like FalconNorthwest or Maingear that offer professional looking units. Good airflow has also likely been compromised for the sake of looks.

Specs great, Would be great for using UDK/ other design programs (I a Computer games design student) However at college we got 2 gig ram 2.0 Ghz Duel cores. Intergrated GFX so all the programs Crash all the time :). However they getting us GFX cards for next year they secured that before the budget cuts \0/ (I in UK)

My home PC 4 gig ram. GTS250 AMD9550 Phen1 2.2 (overclocked to 2.5~) Vista Ultimate 32 bit... hope to upgrade soon have no money, sucks :/

I hate the case on this PC. I hate the case on MY pc. may buy a new one as I hated it so much I ripped the front off! I would end up destroying that thigs case if you gave it to me, I dunno what it is about the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back