Act Fast! Google is giving away free Star Wars Cardboard headsets, get yours now

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Star Wars: The Force Awakens is just one week away. Diehard fans may recall that Verizon started handing out free Star Wars-themed Google Cardboard headsets to its customers last week. The catch? You had to be a paying Verizon customer to get one.

Not so fast, says Google.

As of writing, the Google Store is offering up the headsets to anyone that wants one free of charge (free shipping, too). To get in on the action, simply head over to the Google Store and select from one of four limited edition models. Variants include BB-8, First Order Stormtrooper, Kylo Ren and R2-D2.

Google has imposed a limit of one per person (that way more people have an opportunity to get one) and of course, the offer is only good while supplies last. Your guess is as good as mine as to how many Google is sending out or how quickly they'll all be snapped up.

Some are reporting that they're already out of stock while others have had luck refreshing the page and trying again. Checking as I write this, I see two models still in stock with shipping dates of December 15.

Best of luck!

Permalink to story.

Meh. Even if I lived in North America this is one freebie I don't care about missing out on. It would be too much effort heading over to the site to fill in all my details anyway, even with auto complete enabled.

Got myself and my wife one just now on our accounts just now. Keep refreshing, seems like one comes up as it comes off the assembly line. They'll be here before the 24th. Don't be picky about the version or you wont get it in time, just hop on it and refresh your *** off.

Took forever but I finally got one. First it just wouldn't go to checkout. Then when it did, I realized I had never updated my account with my new card, so I had to enter that in but by the time it was done and I hit the checkout now button, it had removed the item from my cart and I had to go through the whole process of waiting for one to come in stock, and then once one did, constantly hitting refresh until it got back to the payment screen, hit checkout then had to keep refreshing that and 10 minutes later it finally went through...and got the one I wanted, too!

Back