Adaptive VSync causing low GPU usage

Dawn1113

[FONT=Arial]I've been trying adaptive vsync on the new Nvidia 301.24 beta driver. I've noticed brief instances when GPU usage dips from around 85% to as low as 30% on each video card in my SLI setup. The slowdowns usually happen when I make quick turns with the mouse or when running. I've seen this happen in all of the games I've tested so far. Frame rates suffer a noticeable drop.

I know 301.24 is a beta driver -- and designed for 600 and 500 series GPUs, at that -- so a few bugs are to be expected, especially on older cards. But before I rollback to the previous drivers, I was wondering whether maybe the problem is just due to some setting in the control panel which I've neglected to set. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]I'm running two GTX 470s on a single 22" Samsung monitor at 75Hz refresh rate. I have in-game vsync off, adaptive vsync on in the CP, with power management at maximum performance.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Have any of you guys been using adaptive vsync on these drivers? If so, what settings are you using? [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]
Thanks.[/FONT]

Hmm microstutter perhaps? Does it happen if you disable all vsync? I'm guessing the beta driver hasn't been optimised for the 4xx series yet.

Hi, slh28. Thanks for the reply. From what I've read at the Nvidia site, adaptive vsync was specifically designed to reduce micro-stuttering. Strange thing is, the slowing down only happens when the new adaptive vsync technology is enabled. I encounter no such problems when I use in-game vsync or "regular" vsync through the Nvidia Control Panel. So basically, on my rig at least, adaptive vsync is creating the problem it's supposed to remedy. :D

The drivers are good, otherwise. I'm seeing some performance improvements here and there. The new FXAA option works splendidly for me. So it's a shame I can't seem to use adaptive vsync properly as it appears to be the highlight of this new driver and it does sound like a great idea, as well. Nvidia is getting better and better at making these drivers, in my opinion.

There's some mention in the release notes that 301.24 tested well on 4xx series cards. But I'm beginning to think maybe you're right. Maybe these drivers haven't been fully optimized for the Fermis yet.

Oh well. I guess I'll have to wait for WHQL certified drivers to come out.

The recent beta made everything unplayable for me (Trine 2, Deus Ex, Team Fortress 2 and more dropped to <10fps). Nvidia has a reputation for delivering solid beta drivers, but they're still beta for a reason. I rolled back to the previous WHQL build and all is well. Guess I just wanted to say you're not alone with 301.24-related performance issues.

That's more or less what I was seeing, as well, in terms of the drop in frame rates. I'm hoping they don't scrap adaptive vsync for older cards. I'm not sure, but I'm not seeing the "target framerate" feature people are talking about at the Nvidia forum on my Control Panel. If such a feature exists, it seems they've not included it for 4xx GPUs.

Jeez, my Fermis are getting old way too fast!

Which is why I never update to Beta Drivers.
<sshhh...> I don't update drivers at all. Linux doesn't need them. Haha. On my MS rig, however, I'm still running the 295.xx drivers. Because of a lesson I learnt after updating to 285.
But just a thought...enable "Triple Buffering" in the Nvidia CP. That helps counter the FPS hit due to Vsync. But honestly, I don't hink you'll have high enough FPS for 'horizontal tearing' anyway. So I'd just disable it if I were you.

Back