Adata's upcoming PCIe 4.0 SSD boasts read speeds of over 7,000 MB/s

Polycount

Staff
In brief: PCIe 4.0 SSDs have been making waves in the PC hardware industry over the past few months. We saw several of these speedy drives get announced by hardware makers in 2019, and Adata is joining their ranks now. At CES this year, the company announced the "XPG Sage," a blazingly-fast SSD set to launch later this year.

Most of the other PCIe 4.0-compatible SSDs that have been announced recently promise read speeds of around 5,000 MB/s and write speeds closer to the 4,400 MB/s mark. The XPG Sage, however, is kicking things up a notch -- Adata says the NVMe M.2 drive will reach sequential read and write speeds of over 7,000 and 6,000 MB/s, respectively, upon launch.

Adata also aims to impress with the XPG Sage's read and write IOPS, which allegedly come in at 1,000,000 and 800,000. The Sage will ship with a maximum capacity of 4TB, which is pretty standard for modern SSDs.

During live testing, the Sage's sequential write speeds came closer to the 5,300 MB/s mark, but Adata has plenty of time to speed things up before the drive's launch later this year.

Image credit: TechPowerUp

Lower than promised write speeds notwithstanding, those figures are pretty great (as long as they prove accurate in real-world scenarios). They aren't entirely unprecedented -- Gigabyte claims to have a PCIe 4 SSD in the works with read speeds of 15,000 MB/s -- but they are noticeably higher than what we've seen from most other consumer storage drives. Indeed, out of the three different PCIe Gen 4 SSDs we tested in September of last year, none managed to exceed the 5,000 MB/s read or write speed mark.

At CES, the XPG Sage was nothing special from a design perspective. However, Adata is reportedly planning to give the unit its own unique, gaming-oriented heat spreader before launch. The XPG Sage's pricing and specific release day are still unknown at the moment, but those details will probably be revealed closer to the middle of the year.

Masthead credit: Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

The Sage will ship with a maximum capacity of 4TB, which is pretty standard for modern SSDs.
Really? I do not know a single M.2 4TB PCIe 4.0 drive today. To my knowledge, they do not even exist yet, never mind being "standard".

Really? I do not know a single M.2 4TB PCIe 4.0 drive today. To my knowledge, they do not even exist yet, never mind being "standard".

A one second Google would give you the Aorus SSD. Yes, it exists, yes, it can be bought, in fact, we're already using it in one of our workstations.

Corsair also have one btw.

A one second Google would give you the Aorus SSD. Yes, it exists, yes, it can be bought, in fact, we're already using it in one of our workstations.

Ok, I can see they were released just recently. I still wouldn't call them standard. It is a new thing.

b.t.w., I cannot find 4TB ones anywhere in the shop. How did you manage to get one already? Please provide links.

Last edited:
I'll start off by saying this stuff is cool as s***. However, I don't see how this is useful on a consumer level. Workstations and Enterprise market, yes. However, I don't see a use to consumers.

Can someone explain to me why they'd want something like this other than it's awesome? I'd rather put the money towards a faster GPU

Can't see how this is hard to understand
"with a maximum capacity of 4TB, which is pretty standard for modern SSDs."
they are not talking about pcie 4. most modern pcie 3 have a maximum capacity of 4tb...

Can't see how this is hard to understand
"with a maximum capacity of 4TB, which is pretty standard for modern SSDs."
they are not talking about pcie 4. most modern pcie 3 have a maximum capacity of 4tb...
I think they're talking about average drive sir, not supported size

"The Sage will ship with a maximum capacity of 4TB, which is pretty standard for modern SSDs."

thats the quote vitaly used in his first post... seems reading is hard for most people on this site.

I'll start off by saying this stuff is cool as s***. However, I don't see how this is useful on a consumer level. Workstations and Enterprise market, yes. However, I don't see a use to consumers.

Can someone explain to me why they'd want something like this other than it's awesome? I'd rather put the money towards a faster GPU

SSDs with speeds like this would be great for games that use Huge chunks of data, like MMO's etc, or another example, star citizen and games with a similar layout would benefit from the increased read and write speeds for loading objects or large area's etc. Another place I could easily see these drives used is in video production etc, where transferring video data can decrease encoding if the rest of the PC doesn't need to wait to receive data to encode etc. :)

SSDs with speeds like this would be great for games that use Huge chunks of data, like MMO's etc, or another example, star citizen and games with a similar layout would benefit from the increased read and write speeds for loading objects or large area's etc. Another place I could easily see these drives used is in video production etc, where transferring video data can decrease encoding if the rest of the PC doesn't need to wait to receive data to encode etc. :)
Video editing seems kinda obvious to me, but I'd put that closer to professional work. I guess massive games, I play older games so my sata SSDs work fine for me at ~600MB/s. But I couldn't imagine a use case outside of workstations or Enterprise work.

They are cool and I still want one kinda on principle.

Video editing seems kinda obvious to me, but I'd put that closer to professional work. I guess massive games, I play older games so my sata SSDs work fine for me at ~600MB/s. But I couldn't imagine a use case outside of workstations or Enterprise work.

They are cool and I still want one kinda on principle.

With protocol overhead you are doing 500-550mb/sec not 600 :)

I never see any SATA III drives hit > 550 unless you raid 0 them.

If you are referring to the Corsair MP600 they top out at 2TB's currently.

I got a Sabrent Rocket gen 4 1tb on my gaming rig, and for the games I play I can't tell the difference from a Intel 660P. Going to sell It and keep the Intel drive...

I got a Sabrent Rocket gen 4 1tb on my gaming rig, and for the games I play I can't tell the difference from a Intel 660P. Going to sell It and keep the Intel drive...

Why not keep both the Rocket for the OS drive and the 660P for your games?

And most games aren't I/O bottlenecked so what were you really expecting by having the games on the Gen 4 drive?

That's just too fast. They should introduce speed limit on bytes. No sir, you can't go that fast in a populated area!!

I'm just now enjoying the performance increase of the regular Sata SSD. I haven't yet installed a PCI 3.0 M.2 drive even though I can. One day will come when it will be a necessity and I'll be ready. PCI 4.0 drives will be a necessary part of supporting full Ray Tracing in real-time. Nvidia got a lot of flak with their 1st generation RT offering, but it wasn't for everybody, nor even for everyday professional gamers or enthusiasts. It was experimental and part of the next level of computing infrastructure building and the usual suspects, content creators and game companies will be playing with it. It's nice to see that storage drives no longer have to be bottlenecks. It is now possible to build cost-effective systems at any given performance price point. As a recent insurance company likes to say. You only pay for what you need. That's where the reviewers do us a great service, by helping us not waste money on frivolous buys. Thanks. You're much appreciated.

Last edited:

what the hell are you talking about? I see no 4tb Aorus or one from Corsair. please link these drives that your magical 1 second google search can find. your whole reply was *****ic because 4tb is NOT a standard size by any means for M.2 as no consumer 4tb M.2 even exist that I can find.

Last edited:
Why not keep both the Rocket for the OS drive and the 660P for your games?

And most games aren't I/O bottlenecked so what were you really expecting by having the games on the Gen 4 drive?

Well... I quite don't really need 1TB of disk, 2TB is overkill, and I can make like 60% profit selling the Gen 4 Rocket here in Brazil. As why I got it in first place.... that's a good question. I think I was blind by The Glorious PC Master Race ?

Data will always grow to fill that space.

You may not need it right now but what about a year or two years from now?

Data will always grow to fill that space.

You may not need it right now but what about a year or two years from now?

Man, I used to have a 240GB NVMe drive on my gaming rig, just it. the truth is the only thing I install is Windows 10 and like 200GB of games. My PC is just a glorified gaming console. For all my movie needs I use Netflix or Google Films, all my family photos and videos are on the cloud, sure I know I'm being overly confident on the cloud capacity to not loose my precious data, but quite frankly, after my wife trashed some of my PCs, I've grown a strong cloud culture.
After a while she learnt that she cant destroy my Steam and BattleNet accounts.

Man, I used to have a 240GB NVMe drive on my gaming rig, just it. the truth is the only thing I install is Windows 10 and like 200GB of games. My PC is just a glorified gaming console. For all my movie needs I use Netflix or Google Films, all my family photos and videos are on the cloud, sure I know I'm being overly confident on the cloud capacity to not loose my precious data, but quite frankly, after my wife trashed some of my PCs, I've grown a strong cloud culture.
After a while she learnt that she cant destroy my Steam and BattleNet accounts.

lol why is your wife destroying your computers abit off topic but I'm curious.

lol why is your wife destroying your computers abit off topic but I'm curious.
Lol...
Well, since we already went that deep, I was a bit too much devoted to gaming on my off hours. The age old marriage X gaming battle you know. She's a bit hot headed, after some years I've lost 3 gaming rigs and a good LCD monitor, I think it was 24", not a big deal nowadays, but it was pretty good back in the day, also a headset, a razer mouse and a Xbox controller. I don't know if you are married, but if you are you may or may not know how harsh a marriage can be. Well, in a second though, that can happen to any relation after all.

Back