Adding 2nd HD to a Dell Dimension 2400 PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to add a 2nd Western Digital 320 G hard drive with a cage to mount it in for a Dell Dimension 2400Intell Celeron 2.4 GHz PC with 1 G of SDRAM memory. I have a 120 G Western Digital HD, 2 CD/DVD combo drives, and a floppy drive connected now to the MOBO. I have a new 80 pin IDE cable with connectors for master, slave and the card/or mother board. It is a miniATX motherboard. The BIOS is AU6. It is WindowsXP Home Edition SP3.

I have recently installed a Masscool XWT-RC018 3-Port SATA & IDE PCI Card - 2 Internal SATA, External SATA, Internal IDE, SATA 1.5Gbps Support. When ever I try to connect the new hard drive, the PC fails to boot.

I have tried switching from Cable Select to "master" and "slave", changing the BIOS to auto detect, and switching the boot sequence.

What else can I do to make this work? Re-configure the cabling and boot sequence? Change/add the jumper shunts? Do I need to adjust the software or hardware for the PCI 3 slot since briefly my son's friend had installed a video graphics accelerator card that I have removed and uninstalled its drivers, since it was causing my PC to crash?

Either the Dell power supply is too weak or the motherboard is too proprietary to handle the SATA controller

I think that the motherboard is having problem with the SATA.

Do you have a remaining PCI slot? If yes you may use a converter for the HDD or even use it as an external HDD that would be easier and you will be able to transport it if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back