Adding user to admin group without being admin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so heres my problem. I aquired a company laptop from a friend who left the company. Its got XP running on it. I dont have his user name and password for the computer and i cant log onto the domain anyway. So i logged in as administrator but they had removed the administrator from the admin group so i have no rights. I used a bootable CD program to change the admin password and there are no other local accounts i can try to change and log on as. I was wondering if there would be anyway to get admin rights for a user without having to wipe the system clean with a fresh copy of XP. Any help would be great,
Thanks

What you are ascing is how to escalate the permissions of a limited account that you have access to, without having administrative rights to do so.

I'm sorry to have to tell you that this very concept goes against the grain of everything the security in XP is desighned to do, and so there's no easy answer. Even if there was, it would be very irresponsible for anybody who knows it to post it on a public forum, and so I'm afraid this is out of the question here at Techspot.

However, I will move your thread to the WindowsOS forum, where hopefully somebody else will be able to help you with your problem. Failing that' there's always a repair install, or a complete re-format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back