Not open for further replies.

ambushedbaby

Hi all,
Recently tried to uninstall AA 8.1.1.
Went to add/remove programs.
Removed the app. Said it was gone.
Deleted the desktop shortcuts.

However...
Every time I attempt to open Word, or Outlook or Explorer the auto install box pops up and attempts to reinstall it.

I loaded Foxit to use for pdf's and would like to consign AA to the ether once and for all!

Any help would be appreciated.

Adobe has a 10 page paper on how to remove AA 8.
There is an error. In one section they instruct you to delete files in "Resources" the folder is "Resource"
Also some of the files to be removed will be loaded in memory and won't delete. Make sure to reboot without any AA files loading.

and make sure no registry keys for adobe reader got left. check:
hkcu\software\adobe
hklm\software\adobe
hklm\software\microsoft\windows\current version\uninstall
in the uninstall section you may find potiental links to where install files may still exist.

Everything you were told above makes sense and works, If the files are too corrupted to uninstall try installing it again completely and then uninstall. Just a thought

Mozart

Thanks for the replies, all.

I do use CC regularly. Doesn't seem to affect AA 8, tho.

I'm a bit nervous about messing with the registry. I know just enough to be dangerous. :)

Also, found the AA uninstall directions. gah. I'll give it a try.
Anything I should know about what NOT to do in the registry before I get into it?

Or should I try re-installing it...I hesitate since there seems to be this problem with removal and I'd hate to find myself with double the trouble, if you know what I mean...

Why not install the lastest version 9.0? Just install that right over top of it and you'll probably be all set.

adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.htm

Any idea if 9.0 has the same uninstall issues?

I'm planning to stick with Foxit. Works much faster than AA ever did and is comparable in features.

Adobe removal

Hi :

For completely removing that malware-prone Adobe product, I recommend you
try using the FREE Revo Uninstaller at www.revouninstaller.com .

Researchers found a new hackertoolkit that uses nothing but Adobe securityleaks in order to infect systems. "PDF Xploit Pack" ( http://www.trustedsource.org/blog/153/Rise-Of-The-PDF-Exploits )adds all kind of exploits to PDF-files. When a certain exploit has succesfully infected the OS, the IP address is sent to the attackers, so they need to try again. This to reduce the time it takes to manage the bots.

Use of PDF-files is becoming more and more popular amongst malcreants, this because other toolkits also have PDF exploits now. A year ago only 3% of the exploits were PDF directed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back