Adobe is bringing a streaming version of Photoshop to Chromebooks

Shawn Knight

Staff member

adobe photoshop chromebooks google chrome os chromebook

Chromebooks are great for basic Internet tasks like web browsing, social networking and sending / receiving e-mail but the one major drawback to the Windows alternative is they can’t run true desktop-class software.

It’s a valid argument but one that apparently won’t stick forever as Adobe and Google are aiming to improve Chromebooks’ image (no pun intended) by bringing Adobe’s Creative Cloud software to the search giant’s budget-friendly platform. There are a few caveats to take note of, however.

For starters, the offering will initially be limited to a streaming version of Photoshop. Due to the streaming nature of the application, files are saved / opened / etc. from a user’s Google Drive rather than locally. Adobe has a full list of features that aren’t included in the streaming version that can be found by clicking here.

adobe photoshop chromebooks google chrome os chromebook

What’s more, Adobe is limiting access to US-based Adobe education customers with a paid Creative Cloud membership from the get-go.

The good news is that since it’s a streaming version of Photoshop, it runs straight from the cloud to your Chromebook and is always up to date. Google also touts the fact that there is no long client installation so it’ll be a breeze to deploy to a company’s Chromebook fleet.

In addition to being able to access Photoshop from a Chromebook, users will also be able to access it from any Windows device with a Chrome web browser.

While there are some limitations, it’s better than the alternative of nothing at all.

Interested parties that meet the above criteria are invited to head over to Adobe’s website to apply for access.

Permalink to story.

LOL @ the advertisin.

Yea I thought these chromebooks were pretty secure because they only had certain software running on them, I read about someone using chromebooks only to do their banking on cause they were apparently more secure. Don't know what others would say about that.
But once you start letting Anoobe stream w/e they want from the icloud the oh so safest place in the universe, then I see all kinds of unsafe holes appearing.

Supposedly secure, just recently up to 10% of Chrome's extensions were deemed malicious.

Supposedly secure, just recently up to 10% of Chrome's extensions were deemed malicious.
Chrome itself is malicious!!! I don't know why anyone entertains that garbage, but maybe that's just my dislike for anything Google that's coming through thick and strong. Oh, and just to make this comment more relevant to the topic of the article, I still think native is always going to be better than this cloud crap. Useful for a few things, but when you start moving your WHOLE damn pc to the cloud (I.e. Chromebooks) you kind of have to step back and lay off the crack, and then kick yourself for wasting money so unashamedly especially when there are things that are so much more worth that cash... like a compressed can of air...

</rant>

Back