Adobe warns of critical vulnerability in Flash and PDF readers

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Adobe issued a new security advisory yesterday, warning of a critical vulnerability (CVE-2010-2884) in several of its products, including Flash Player 10.1.82.76 and earlier versions for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Solaris, as well as Flash 10.1.92.10 for Android. The bug also affects Adobe Reader 9.3.4 for Windows, Mac, and Unix, along with Adobe Acrobat 9.3.4 and earlier on Windows and Mac.

The company has received reports that Flash users on Windows have been attacked, but there is no word of Adobe Reader or Acrobat being exploited in the wild -- at least not yet anyway. Adobe is rushing to get a patch out for Flash on all the mentioned platforms, and that's due sometime during the week of September 27. Reader and Acrobat won't be fixed until the following week of October 4.

Permalink to story.

So the vulnerability is critical AND people have been attacked and it'll take them at least 2 weeks to patch things up? I understand that Flash runs on a lot of platforms but Reader and Flash are two things tons of people use on a daily basis.

Want to know the pathetic thing though? Most people my office won't ever update those two thing. Some people still use IE6 which just blows my mind. Awesome.

@Jibberish18:
I know what you mean. There is a computer in each classroom at my University, and each time a professor uses one, a "update flash" message pops up... and EVERY TIME, they 'X' it out and ignore.
I know it's not exactly their responsibility to maintain the computers, but it drives me crazy.

Back