adsl modem/router vs. home lan (net sharing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. tricky question as i haven't really had much xpaireance with networking. currently the 4 machines @ our house are just for gaming & communicate on lan via a 5port gig'a switch. (no net just yet)

in a day or two i am to recieve an adsl router/modem so i can do a bitsa surfing/downloading/play games online/etc.
@ the mo i only have 1 network card in my machine, so when this thing arrives that port will be taken up by the modem & i shant be able to be connected to the home lan switch. the modem/router - dsl-g604t - has not only the port for connecting my machine to it (adsl port) but also 4x lan ports. (heres my tricky ugly question)

i want to be able to have the modem connected to my machine obviously, but can i also run a cable off 1 of the lan ports on the modem back to the household lan switch so that i can still play games within the house?
if that can be done easy enough...will that mean that the internet connection comming in via the modem will be also be distributed via the household lan to the other computers...? & if it will be distributed in such a fashon can it be controled to only 1 of the computers (some1 who has agreed to go 1/2'ies on cost) by config within the modem...?

(i don't acutally have the modem just yet & there mayb a manual that shows basic settings for it but i doubt i would have such detailed explainations for scenario's within it, so im hoping some1 has encountered such things previously & could share their wisdom! i have also mailed this question to the maker of the modem - dlink - in the hope that they might have a straight forward answer)

hope i worded that ok so u's can comprehend it.
muchly tankx. :monkey:

If you want all the machines to have internet access then you should just run your modem/router LAN uplink to your existing 5p switch. Make sure all your machines, and the router are on the same subnet.

It would be:

modem/router
|
|
Switch
| | | |
| | | |
machines

Does this help?

hi dude, yes that does, i also got a nice explaination from a ex work mate who is in charge of his office's it stuff.

net
|
|
modem/router
(lan ports)
| | | |
| |
house switch my machine
| | |
| | |
other machines

be a bit like the above. connect to the house switch via 1 of the lan ports on the router (as you've said) so 1 running into my machine & then 1 running back to the household switch. that way i can still play in-house d/combat & l.o.d on the lan. before doing that i would need to config my machine to chat to the router & change its password, assign it an ip/submask & turn off dchp (did i get that right, dchp or dpch or someting like dat) so it doesn't try to be too smart for itself & assign all of our computers ip's. then once connected to the house lan, use the tcp/ip filtering tool in the router to ok all lan traffic; but set rules to restrict the incomming wan connection to 1 machine only on the other end of the house lan by specifying it as ok to recieve. (again, i've agreed to allow 1 of the others to use the net)
its kinda hard to write it all down clearly sometimes aye, but learning experiance if nothing else. get it all going next week some time so i shall let yah know how i get on.
word :monkey:

sori my sad little attempt @ a diagram didn't really work did it...

net
|
router-----------my machine
|
house switch
|||||
other machines

(hope this 1 works better)
chairs :D

Yeah it's DHCP.

DHCP = Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol

So you only want your machine, and one other to have internet access?

If you are statically assigning IP information for the machines you may be able to simply remove the default gateway on the machines that should not have access. Let me think about this for a bit.

i think that turning off the gateway would probably work. BUT if you only want 2 computyers to have internet why not consider:

NET
|
|
.........ADSL ROUTER........
| | |
HOME LAN 1st PC 2nd PC
| |
PC3 PC4

Ph30nIX..

Or you could just take the setup from HoopaJoop's first post and block the addresses of the unwanted computers on the router.

Simple is beautiful. The solution with the least cables and devices and hops between machines is the best.

many thanks, im still reading stuff over the net about all this.
just firsty, these other machines are of course mates (so i don't think im just gona go have a play with them, they may not be all that impressed...) however, sounds like all will be well. i had a look in wind' settings today just to get an idea of where i'll be looking when all this is set up.
so there will in effect be to lan's joined together & i leave that part alone so i can still see the other machines off the existing house switch, & all i have to do is plug my machine into the router, & 1 cable off the router to the existing house switch (allow only the 1 ip addy i want to share the net with) & all should behave itself (& with computers i do much prefer lest cables as poss...but not with my sounds but i shant start a rambling.) in either case, sucess or not i shall of course post my learnings so that others can have a glance & you guys know the outcome. chairs. :monkey: conq, munies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back