Advice needed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Lee

I don't know if it's my system or the way the programs are installed.I have,
ASUS motherboard
ati 9550 (CATALYST 5.3 and CATALYST Control Center)
512mb DDR ram
cd rom52x
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+ 1.79GHz
40 gig samsung
110 gig wdc wd400
300w power supply

my problem is that i play battlefeild 1942 and the game is very sticky, my computer meets the reqerments and a lot more. Anyone please help advice,
I tried everything i know.

p.s. I woun't/ will not reformat my computer and start from sctrach.

I think maybe your psu needs upgrading 300w is not that much for what you are running.

A 400 to 450 watt psu will be better able to cope.

Get a good quality one maybe Antec or Themaltake etc

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Im not sure what you mean by sticky, but maybe your refresh rate is set too low, you can try setting a higher one like 85hz. Right click the desktop and go to properties, and advanced and then monitor. Im assuming your using windows xp, but you have not stated this. If your using another windows os, then look around for it in the display properties. Also, you should be more descriptive than "sticky" to make it easier to help you.

I`m sorry to hear that you can`t afford a new psu.

Maybe your parents could help or maybe get a part time job in order to pay for it yourself.

Also I notice in your system specs that you have put your cpu as an Athlon 64 2200+

Would you please check again, as I think it`s probably the Athlon xp2200+ that you`ve got, cause as far as i`m aware AMD don`t make an Athlon 64 2200+.

Have you tried disabling any programmes that you don`t need from running in the background. This may help to speed your game up.

Also do a complete disk cleanup I.E get rid of all temp files including internet temp files and cookies. Then do a defrag, all these things can help to speed your system up.

regards Howard :grinthumb

I have the same computer and im working on a processor, but make sure you look at all your settings and make sure they are right and if it is the same, you might need to spent $40-$100 on a pcu. Good Luck :cool:

What graphics settings do you have it at? I had bf1942 on high with my 6600gt and 512mb of ram and it stuttered. It's the ram, to run bf on high, you really need a gig(maybe 768mb?). It runs out of ram, and then has to access the hd which is way slower than ram, so it stutters. I kind of doubt that it's your psu. Ram prices have dropped, although 512mb is still more than $20. You could set your graphics to medium, that's what I did until I get more ram.

I assume that you are using some kind of internet security suite. Which one? Some of these can be real resource hogs, and take up a lot of processor time. You might want to switch off real time scanning when you are playing games (just make sure its back on when your on the net.)
Make sure you don't have anything unnecessary running also, like MSN Messenger (go to options and uncheck start when Windows starts). Other programs also do not need to run in the background, like Quicktime and Real Player. An XP2200 is not a bad processor, but could quickly get bogged down with these applications. Also like the other guys say, don't expect to run at high quality settings, start low, and gradually turn the settings up, stopping before the graphics stutter. I had a system here a month ago with a Athlon64 3000+, and a Radeon 9600 128Mb, and that ran Delta Force BHD at max settings, but Lord of The Rings Battle for Middle Earth would not get anywhere near max settings. I don't think that your PSU would give the problems you are describing, more likely just to crash when starting in 3d Mode.

Good Luck.

vnf4ultra said:
What graphics settings do you have it at? I had bf1942 on high with my 6600gt and 512mb of ram and it stuttered. It's the ram, to run bf on high, you really need a gig(maybe 768mb?). It runs out of ram, and then has to access the hd which is way slower than ram, so it stutters. I kind of doubt that it's your psu. Ram prices have dropped, although 512mb is still more than $20. You could set your graphics to medium, that's what I did until I get more ram.

I have it on medium.and it's still anoying.I also tried some stuff let me no if any of this helped look here,
http://www.megascenery.com/xptweaks.htm

thanks for help. ^_^ ,but do to a couple of virses i had to whip my primary hard drave clean! I did make a backup on drive E. I'm still going to have to reinstall every thing. I going to find the problem on why things were so ... messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back