Advice on building a new system

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekieNick101

Hey everybody,

I'm considering building a new system and I need some advice on what system specs I should base it on. For one its only going to be used to play the sims 2 games and thats basicly it. I would like to rn the sims 2 without any lag.

Thank you very much everyone

What resolution do you want to run the game at? Do you want all the graphic settings turned to high?

how much u willing to spend. if i had the money i would get an e6800 C2D, P5W DH mobo, and 2 gigs of pc2-5300 ballistix, with two 7600gt sli. throw in a 600watt psu and an Antec silent case also a X-fi FPS card. dont forget raid 0 confi raptors.

as i said how much u willing to spend? go for broke or budget?

codez13579 said:
how much u willing to spend. if i had the money i would get an e6800 C2D, P5W DH mobo, and 2 gigs of pc2-5300 ballistix, with two 7600gt sli. throw in a 600watt psu and an Antec silent case also a X-fi FPS card
We are not discussing what you would get. We are supposed to help him find what he needs so keep such useless advice to yourself in the future.
As for u Nick, a Celeron/Celeron D would be ideal, as would a GeForce 6200 (AGP or PCI-E I leave upto u to decide) and a mobo to go along with the above. Aim for a gig of RAM (again, I leave it upto you to decide if u want DDR or DDR2) and a cheap 40-80 gig HDD. Throw in a good-quality, inexpensive 300-350W PSU like an Antec or a Fortron FSP, a DVD-ROM/RW drive and any cheap Sound Blaster Live! or any other $20 sound card and you're ready to go. That setup would run The Sims 2 very well I reckon and shouldn't cost u more than $300-500.

rage, i was suggesting wat is his budget. if he had the money, the specs i said would work with sims. maybe he got the money or not. maybe he wants to upgrade in the future. we dont know. he does. so NEXT time you post keep your post on the person who originated the thread N stop playing pin the tail on the donkey.

geekie, still it depends on wat u budget is?

You can get an Athlon 64, socket 939 CPU. The 3000+ model is very cheap these days, and it offers way more power than a Celery D.

But again, like the other guys said, we need to know your budget....

Hey everybody,

Thank you for replying, I want to have it at the highest resolution possible, I dont really Know how much I want to spend, I already bought a Dell for $1,000 in March 06 with a P 4 w/HT and 1 Gig of RAM and it cant even run the sims 2 so I doubt a celeron can since a p4 is better. I have all the sims 2 games and love them but I cant enjoy them because all it does is freeze and crash and I took it to a shop twice and had it serviced and it didnt help. So I dont really know what specs I want thats why I posted this thread. Becuase back in March I called dell and told them this computer is only going to be used to play the sims 2 and they told me this one would be perfect and it cant even run it corectly so I guess I'm building a new one as a Christmas gift for myself since its comming up soon. I really dont know how much to pay and as far as hard drive space 40 GB is enough right now my dell is 80GB and I'm never going to ever fill it. Thank you so much

GeekieNick101 said:
Hey everybody,

Thank you for replying, I want to have it at the highest resolution possible, I dont really Know how much I want to spend, I already bought a Dell for $1,000 in March 06 with a P 4 w/HT and 1 Gig of RAM and it cant even run the sims 2 so I doubt a celeron can since a p4 is better. I have all the sims 2 games and love them but I cant enjoy them because all it does is freeze and crash and I took it to a shop twice and had it serviced and it didnt help. So I dont really know what specs I want thats why I posted this thread. Becuase back in March I called dell and told them this computer is only going to be used to play the sims 2 and they told me this one would be perfect and it cant even run it corectly so I guess I'm building a new one as a Christmas gift for myself since its comming up soon.

It should be able to, even if it has a really bad video card. Hmmm...

It has 128mb of intergrated intel video, then I upgraded it to a 256 mb nvidia geforce card and it still couldnt handle it so I put it back to the intergrated video. I tried everything I reinstlaled the o/s so many times... Its getting annoying So I'm just building a new computer since dell's tech support is a joke...

Well if you know how to build a computer from scratch then u could buy a self build system, i got a high performance gaming PC for £500 which im sure could run sims 2... you can get cheap parts off of various sites but im not sure if im aloud to advertise here.

Yeah I dont know how much to spend, anybody got any ideas? Also the reason I posted this thread is becuase I'm not sure what specs to build the system based on. Because wha I thought could handle the sims 2 couldnt but Dell said it could they told me to buy this one when I told them sims 2 so I got it. And yes I want to build a new one just not sure what specs to base it on.

Thanks everybody

Try TS's Budget PC guide. U can get a powerful gaming PC for $700-1000 depending on the choice of parts. And it would rip through Sims 2 without even blinking an eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back