Afraid of service pack 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyd78

Help I have automatic updates on and it keeps bugging me to install sp2 I am afraid it might mess things up more than they would fix. Have downloaded all other current updates for xp pro but not the BIG one. How many out there already have sp2 and do I worry too much? I finally turned off the reminder for it but it is still on my mind. Thanks.

It would seem to me that it just depends on your individual system.

What I mean is I know lots of people who have had major problems with sp2 myself included.

I also know That a lot of people have very few problems except for the odd piece of softwear that sp2 breaks.

All in all only you can decide if you want to risk it.

The only advice I can offer is if you do decide to install sp2 do it immediately after a reformat and reinstall of sp1 without doing any other updates.
As this seems to reduce the possibility of serious problems.

Regards Howard

:wave:

I have 4 systems with SP2 installed - all are fine and have and no problems related to SP2. Others on the forum haven't been so lucky. As Howard said it'll probably depend on how things are with your system already.

Take a Restore-point before you install SP2.
Better even would be to make an image using Drive-Image or Ghost or Acronis Image.
That way you can revert back immediately without risking anything.

Alternatively, go back to Windows 2000 with SP4. No problems at all.
(But then I am very conservative...)

What they all said ,and you can go to Microsoft and do some reading .You may discover items that might affect your machine's configuration,thereby avoiding the obvious problems.
I would rather take the chance and upgrade rather than be open to so many different kinds of attacks that can occur without it.It is a reality of Xp.
Or you could do like Real says and go back to Win2k ,It works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back