AGP problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently upgraded video cards from a ati radeon 9600 pro to a gigabyte nvidia 6600gt and I'm not noticing the performance increase I thought I would have, and in some cases it runs some games worse.
When I bring up the VGA utility that came with the video card, it says the VGA speed is 4x, when the card and my motherboard are both capable of 8x speeds. When I go into Bios it won;t let me adjust the AGP speed, is just shows it as running at 8x. but greyed out and won't let me change it. I just updated my bios and my motherboard is an asus a7v8x-x. If anyone else had similar problems and solved them help would be much appreciated.

Did u completely remove the driver for your old card before fitting your new one?

Also u could click start, run, then type dxdiag and see what that says.

I've had this exact same problem when I changed from my ATI9550 to ATIX700. I installed the card then its new drivers and was puzzled by not much of a performance increase and some fps drops in games. In desperation i reformatted my pc and was greeted by 100% performance from my card. It seems that i have layered the videocard drivers too much and hindered performance. So id say either uninstall all drivers and start fresh or reformat your computer.

was the 9600 operating at 8x speeds? you should use cpu-z to verify the interface speed. have you got the latest nvidia driver? ati's catalyst software can be a handful to get rid of, just how did you remove it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back