All sorts of fun problems with the Radeon 9200se

Status
Not open for further replies.

BASSplayerACE

Ok, so here it goes:

I installed a new motherboard (Abit KW7 Socket 462, w/ Via chipset) and now im having problems with the video card.(Radeon 9200se) When I first installed the new mobo, everything was fine. I installed Call of Duty and when the game loaded, i could move around for about 30 seconds before I would get some "VRU has recovered you display" messeage, or something like that. (by the way, what is VRU?) Then I loaded up Star Wars Battlefront and I got a message saying that OpenGL could not be opened. THEN, when my screen saver came on, it said, "could not find any compatible Direct3D devices". Now, all these things worked before, so theres no reason for it not to work now. just to be sure tho, i updated the drivers but then i had even more trouble. The ATI control center would not load up and gave me a long crazy error msg at startup.

My main question is, why did everything work for a little bit, then just stop working in the middle of a game? If it would help, call of duty gave me a technical log of why the game did not load. i could copy and paste it on a later post if it would help.

Thanks!

yes, i know this card is very cheap and i should just buy a new one, but im on a tight budget and would like to get this one working if at all possible.

My guess is VRU stands for Video Rendering Unit, but I am not sure. This essentialy means your graphics card.

Did you follow the propper procedure for installation of the ATI drivers? Uninstall>restart>install>restart.
Try doing that again.

Maybe try updating DirectX and OpenGL to.

If that does not work then maybe try the whole graphics card installation again. Starting with switch of pc and take out graphics card, then turn on using onboard graphics etc.

ok, i tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest drivers in the correct sequence, and still nothing. As far as putting the card in another pc, umm...lol....cant do that because this is the only pc i own. i tend to think the the card might be somehow damaged because generally, i can get into the game ok, but a few seconds into it, i lose video and get the VRU msg. I think it is hardware related problem rather than softward. basically, it IS working, but spuratically (spelling?...lol) what do you think?

Thanks a ton for responding!!!

I think you miss-understood me. Did your pc originally have onbaord graphics?
And then you bought this card for it? If so redo the installation procedure on your pc, starting with re-enabling the onboard graphics and then taking this card out of the pc and running with the onboard one. Then install the card from scratch as if you just bought it.

You could however also try using another pc. I am sure you know someone who would let you test your card in their pc, like a fiend maybe. Obviously if the same problems occure there, then the card is almost dead or failed.

im pretty sure the message your getting is VPU recovery not VRU

when this message appears it ussualy has to do with a somewhat major problem with the card. I would first look at the cards heat sink ( i realize a 9200 is not the hottest of all card out there) but is is attached correctly?

does the card vissualy look ok? how about the agp slot it is in?

Have you tried to reseat the card?

it agree however, it would be best to try the card in another PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back