Altec Lansing ADA885 info needed desperately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm repairing a set of Altec Lansing ADA885 speakers and was wondering if anyone out there could help me. Inside the subwoofer cabinet there is a metal case with a circuit board, containing (I think) the power supply and subwoofer amplifier circuitry. There is an approximately 2 watt resistor labelled R2 on this board that is burned. I can't read the value due to the heat damage. Does anyone either have a schematic for this unit, or an open unit they can look at this resistor and let me know the value? I talked to Altec Lansing's tech support and it was like banging my head against the wall. They seem to think that throwing the whole system away and buying a new set because a 10 cent part is blown is the best option. Any help anyone can give me would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Joe

Howdy! Welcome to TechSpot

Potrzebie said:
I talked to Altec Lansing's tech support and it was like banging my head against the wall. They seem to think that throwing the whole system away and buying a new set because a 10 cent part is blown is the best option. Any help anyone can give me would be much appreciated.
Being they are so widely available and cheap it may be best.... :(
I too wish things were more standardized so we could effect repairs but
the general world industry will not give up the economical soundness of
the new "disposable replacment". To them that sound system represents about
.10 worth the cost and 90% profit. What would do you think motivate them?

SOcRatEs said:
Being they are so widely available and cheap it may be best.... :(
I too wish things were more standardized so we could effect repairs but
the general world industry will not give up the economical soundness of
the new "disposable replacment". To them that sound system represents about
.10 worth the cost and 90% profit. What would do you think motivate them?

Unfortunately, I know this all too well. I used to work in the electronics industry selling components and test equipment and saw the industry shrink over the last 15 yrs from dozens of local repair shops to 1 or 2 doing warranty work and that's it. It's all throwaway. It boggles my mind that if I throw out my grass clippings or put my newspapers in the trash instead of the blue box, I'm an environmental terrorist... but companies like Altec Lansing can needlessly fill the landfills with this stuff every day because of a few dollars.

Now that I've ranted, just in case anyone cares, the resistor I was looking to replace actually was OK. The board had 3 bad electrolytic caps on it and 6 more big ones that test about 25 % below their rated value and start dropping after a min on the cap meter. Replacing the bad ones brought the sub back to life, but it doesn't have much bass so I'm going to replace the rest and see what happens.

Joe

I am having a similar problem

I hope you got it fixed!!! The whole system is shot for me. It was gradual, and would only happen sometimes, but now, when the system is turned on, the LED text light on the main right speaker (where the volume controls are etc.) keeps blinking in and out, maybe 2 times a second. I get no audio from it. Like the others in this forum, I really do not want to buy another set. I loved these! I see the circuit board, and was going to test some bad capacitors. All I need to know is... DID IT WORK AFTER YOU REPLACED THE BAD CAPACITORS!!!?!?

Thanks a bunch!!! Thanks for posting this. This was the most helpful thing on the net about this problem.

Same problem, same lack of info... No subwoofer output. Opened cabinet and metal case w/ subwoofer amp and found inductor coil had overheated and melted solder on a loose cap and resistor (bouncing around inside!). Some heat damage but repairable, *IF* I had schematic to give to tech w/ general audio repair knowledge (not me, unfortunately). I'd love to drop the PCB in a box & ship to someone to repair (no, not the whole subwoofer :)) Does anyone know an independent shop that will even *look* at a ada885 PCB ??

Anyone still out there?

I can look at the board(s) and tell people anything but for one cap. I vaporized it by making a pretty good sized mistake. :eek:

I have clear photos of a fair bit of the the boards, and some dis-assembly, and am more than willing to trade those for one cap value. :)

Of course, the cap I vaporized was possibly the only one I didn't have a clear picture of.

The Cap I blew up is C46 on the audio processing board. That's the one with the Zoran Chip...

I'd love to drop the PCB in a box & ship to someone to repair (no, not the whole subwoofer :)) Does anyone know an independent shop that will even *look* at a ada885 PCB ??

Let me ask this weekend. There's a guy here in Edmonton who's pretty good. He may be soldering a cap on for me if I can get the info. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back