Alternate way reformat Win XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mucklucks

Hi to All & Any,

I have a grade-school question for this expert forum.

My WinXP system has become ridiculously slow. I've performed all the speed-up suggestions found in this forum. No go. So I'll have to do a reformat. I've done re-formats before, but it always take me four or five days to reinstall all my OS and programs and update them. My question is: Is there any other method that is simpler and cleaner than the one I use?

What I do is this:
1) Save all data to external drive
2) Save all downloaded program installation files to external drive
2) Format main Hard Drive (C:) with same partitions as current
3) Install WinXP
4) Update the above to current (Grr)
4) Install MS Office 2003
5) Update the above to present (Grr)
6) Save all data back to drive C: from external drive
7) Reinstall all program discs & downloaded program installation files
8) Update the above one-by-one to present (Grr)

I cannot see how mirroring a system and reinstalling would not reinstall all the clutter I am trying to remove. But I am asking you guys if there is any newer/better/cleaner way to reformat a system?

For any and all thoughts, my huge appreciation.

There's one important issue (in your incorrectly numbered sequence ;))

Instead of "Reformat", remove the Partition, here's the steps to do that :)

Microsoft's Windows XP Professional Repair Install step by step (* Including Delete Partition)
http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step (* Including Delete Partition)
http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

* Warning deleting the Partition will remove all User data and Windows system files

By the way this thread also states what I have mentioned above:

Try the => Ultimate Boot CD for Windows to help backup your important data. The link also includes help installing Windows clean :)

Hey mucklucks

I understand that your question is to find a way to better or faster reformat your HD but I do think that you're asking the wrong question. You should be asking why your PC is running slowly in the first place. If you reformat and your habits (installations, icons, folders, programs in background etc.) continue in the same fashion as they always have, you'll have to keep reformatting. What I'm trying to say is that you should be trying to prevent the underlying problem instead of continually needing to cure it. So, maybe if you'd like to tell us why your computer is running slowly in the first place, we could help you out a bit?

Erm, do you have enough RAM installed by the way?

Spyder_1386 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back