Amazon can now deliver half of its own packages, to the tune of 2.5 billion packages and...

mongeese

Staff
In a nutshell: In the past year alone, Amazon’s American delivery capacity has more than doubled. They’ve gone from fulfilling 20% of their orders to about 50%, despite an uptick in sales and the introduction of one-day Prime shipping – FedEx and UPS better watch out.

CNBC reports that Morgan Stanley analysts are predicting a 68% compound annual growth for deliveries between 2018 and 2022, bringing them up from 2.5 billion packages delivered this year to 6.5 billion in 2022. Compare that with current market leaders UPS and FedEx, who are only expected to go from 4.7 billion to 5.0 billion and 3.0 billion to 3.4 billion, respectively, and things are certainly looking good for the retail giant.

Amazon’s capacity looks even wilder when you consider their fleet is about one-fifth the size of their competitors’. Thus far their efficiency has been a product of intense focus on dense regions, which require fewer miles per delivery. Amazon’s deliveries breakdown with 61% sent to suburban areas, 28% to urban areas, and only 11% delivered to rural areas. UPS and FedEx both ship about 20% of their packages to rural areas.

In the future, however, Amazon is planning on integrating new technologies and systems to deliver packages even faster. Amazon Air, its fleet of cargo aircraft, will operate at least 70 planes by 2021. Amazon’s drone army, meanwhile, entered service in December 2016 and has been slowly expanding around a series of ever-stranger patents. Amazon Flex, likened to an Uber-for-deliveries, on the other hand, has been less successful.

Amazon’s rapid delivery growth hasn’t come cheap. In October, they said that in a three-month span from June to September (the introduction of one-day shipping) they spent $9.6 billion on order fulfillment, 50% more than they had in the previous three months. That includes both their own deliveries and those they hired UPS and FedEx for.

However, they’re confident their investment has been worth it. “Customers love the transition of Prime from two days to one day — they’ve already ordered billions of items with free one-day delivery this year. It’s a big investment, and it’s the right long-term decision for customers,” CEO Jeff Bezos said at a recent earnings call.

Permalink to story.

What do you mean by that? If you're referring to jobs, people don't lose them. Amazon are simply delivering items through themselves instead of third parties.

I'm taking about the dangerous working conditions. The fact employees are urinating in bottles because they get penalized for walking to the restroom. How about the gentleman who got crushed to death by a falling machine, and the fact nobody noticed despite the huge pool of blood accumulating?

I'm taking about the dangerous working conditions. The fact employees are urinating in bottles because they get penalized for walking to the restroom. How about the gentleman who got crushed to death by a falling machine, and the fact nobody noticed despite the huge pool of blood accumulating?

THEN QUIT! Why are people "putting up" with those working conditions? Couple of reasons. Pay is good, benefits are good.

Not making excuses but when you consider the size of Amazon their accident rate is pretty small as compared with the rest of the industry. From what I've read those incidents of people being forced to avoid breaks is isolated to a few locations BUT it doesn't appear that Amazon is doing much about it. As they continue there will be more and more attempts to organize their work force and NLRB will have a few things to say.

It really demands that every case be looked at independently to be fair to both parties.

Email would eliminate jobs they said, ai will eliminate jobs they say. However working for Fedex or UPS in my circle as a younger man was considered a good job. I looked at some listings for people who Amazon contract out and the glass door reviews... You may or may not work, they will let you know when you get there each morning. And you have to use your own vehicle... Pass.

As far as some guy getting killed by ai, did anyone look at the odds being killed by a human doing the same work on a forklift?

It's not technically a third party, more like Uber, you pay for the insurance, you are not technically their employee(for lack of better terminology), no healthcare etc.

Email would eliminate jobs they said, ai will eliminate jobs they say. However working for Fedex or UPS in my circle as a younger man was considered a good job. I looked at some listings for people who Amazon contract out and the glass door reviews... You may or may not work, they will let you know when you get there each morning. And you have to use your own vehicle... Pass.

As far as some guy getting killed by ai, did anyone look at the odds being killed by a human doing the same work on a forklift?

It's not technically a third party, more like Uber, you pay for the insurance, you are not technically their employee(for lack of better terminology), no healthcare etc.
They are abusing the terms of "contractor", much like fedex does.

You point out how technology will eliminate jobs, and insinuate that is wrong, but look at what has happened to the middle class in that time. Those who are good with technology have survived, but those that are not have been reduced to lower class or poverty. Millions of Americans are now dependent on multiple jobs and part time apps like uber to survive. Sure, they are "employed", but they cannot build their future like past generations could.

Amazon sure is making a bad name for themselves. In my area, their trucks regularly back up traffic. Semis cross over multiple lanes. They do 20mph on 50mph exits. 50mph in 60mph highways, etc etc. There aren't a whole lot of these trucks around here, but I am always on high alert when they are. Perhaps the drivers are doing it on purpose? Not to mention amazon having random people off the street walk across our properties.

I do my best to not buy from amazon - especially since they are forcing tax on me for out of state purchases (not amazon entity). I am at about maybe 2 purchases a year now. When I was on the trial membership for "prime", they would wait a week to even put my order in a box, then another week for delivery. "prime" is a huge ripoff. There is a reason they are making a killing off the "membership". People are so gullible, and amazon is taking advantage of it.

Correction: Amazon now dumps half of your packages into your driveway in the rain instead of bringing them to the covered entry way that UPS and Fed Ex bring them to. Which is when the product tracking doesn't show that the driver quit or their car broke down, resulting in the product going back to the warehouse and delivery being rescheduled out 1-3 days.

Yeah. Now how about the human toll?
Ah yes, the amazon slaver ship pulls up in front of the RV's parked all around the warehouse, clearly trying to get away but failing to do so. The slavers put everyone in chains and drag them into some of the safest warehouses with the fewest incidents per worker per hour and then the bastages PAY THEM!!!1! Its like torture. Poor slaves.

We could do without USPS. Every time I get something shipped via USPS, it gets lost.

Back