Amazon creates new department dedicated to retro gaming

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

Face it. Retro gaming is a thing now. Nintendo has recently had great success re-releasing decades-old technology with the miniaturized NES and Super NES gaming systems. A lot of indie game development has taken the retro approach with releases like Hotline Miami and Spelunky selling well. There are even studios that are now developing new cartridge games for old systems.

Now Amazon has jumped on the bandwagon with a whole section of its website devoted to retro gaming. It is called Retro Zone.

The department is all about retro gaming but it does not just list games. It has clothes, toys, action figures and even books, all dedicated to games from the '80s and '90s.

"All retro. All the time.
Explore awesome retro video games, cool action figures,
hip clothing and more."

Then, of course, there are the games. You can find all kinds of classics from the various ancient consoles. Sega’s Sonic the Hedgehog is there, Atari’s Missle Command and other arcade classics like SNK’s Metal Slug are available. Some are even free but before you get too excited, it is important to note that these games are the mobile versions from the Amazon app store.

Antique console owners need not despair as you haven't been forgotten. If you have been yearning to play Star Fox again, you can buy a brand new cartridge of the European version (Starwing) for only $490. Heck, with free shipping, that’s a bargain.

If something is tagged “retro,” you'll find it there. Since the Retro Zone is just a subset of other Amazon departments, the selection in some categories is limited. However, if this fad persists, this portal will undoubtedly grow.

Permalink to story.

Retro gaming is one fad I find impossible to get my head around. I just don't get it. I played a lot of those games back in the day on those old platforms and while I enjoyed a lot of them back then, going back to them today would seem like going back to something like cassette tapes. Other fads like RGB, although pointless to all intents and purposes, I can still see why some would think it's the bees knees for really nothing more than just showing off.

Retro gaming is one fad I find impossible to get my head around. I just don't get it. I played a lot of those games back in the day on those old platforms and while I enjoyed a lot of them back then, going back to them today would seem like going back to something like cassette tapes. Other fads like RGB, although pointless to all intents and purposes, I can still see why some would think it's the bees knees for really nothing more than just showing off.
Have you actually gone back and PLAYED them? A lot of older games still hold up quite well in the control and game-play department, which is what is actually important to enjoying a game. There isnt so much you can change between super mario world and new uber super mario and luigi 2D ultra 3 or whatever they call it.

There is a reason those consoles sold so well, after all. Why people still load emulators onto wiis, PCs, and phones. Because these games were all about the GAME, not about how much money they could squeeze from whales.

There's no pre order content, no micro transactions, no DLC, no online passes, no DRM. Just pop in the cartridge and play. In today's inconvenience filled gaming world, these older consoles are a breath of fresh air. Unless all you play is the newest CoD, there are plenty of high quality games on many older systems still worth playing.

Back