Amazon edges out Apple as most reputable U.S. company

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Results from the latest Harris Poll released today reveals Amazon is the most reputable company in the United States. The 2013 Harris Poll Reputation Quotient came to the conclusion based on opinions from more than 14,000 Americans.

The poll uses six different categories to rate a company: social responsibility, emotional appeal, financial performance, products & services, vision & leadership and workplace environment. The online retail giant scored first in two of the six categories: emotional appeal and products & services.  They were also in the top five in the other four categories, finishing with an overall score of 82.62 out of a possible 100.

Apple came in second place, earning top honors in vision & leadership and financial performance. The company was narrowly beat by Amazon with a rating of 82.54. Last year, Apple scored 85.62 overall. Walt Disney took home the bronze medal while Google finished just off the podium in fourth place with a score of 81.32.

Robert Fronk, executive vice president of Reputation Management at Harris Interactive, said Amazon has managed to build an intimate relationship with the public without being seen as intrusive. He also points out that nine out of 10 members of the public said they would recommend Amazon to friends and family.

These weren’t the only tech companies to have a solid showing in the poll. Sony finished in eighth place, Samsung ranked 11th and Microsoft was 15th overall.

Data for the poll was collected from 14,512 individuals in the US between November 13 and November 20, 2012.

Permalink to story.

People still take Apple seriously and refuse to accept that there are better products for the same price/cheaper out there. It seriously is a consumer cult....

It's scary...

Don't know if you noticed, Android is the new cult. It is VERY defended if someone doesn't even use it.

People still take apple seriously and refuse to accept that there are better products for the same price/cheaper out there. It seriously is a consumer cult....
its scary...

iOS 5 killed Apple if you ask me.

It added things that I didnt need nor what. Features that ultimately slowed down my iphone4. Fortunately I was able to downgrade back to iOS 4 and now all is right with the world.

Its probably because android is a superior OS in terms of how open it is and how customizable it is...

I see no connection between your statement and and the fact that there are "better" products.

Clearly, the superiority you see in Android is not seen by iOS users. The iPhone does everything they need it do to.

It still baffles me people think just because they like an OS better everyone should do the same. I, if you are wondering, have a rooted SIII with CM 10.1 on it. Hell, I'm rocking the nighlies too. But I also use a Lumia 920 as a work phone. My GF has an iPhone 5 (and I technically have a 4S as a spare), and I've played around with the Z10. I can give you the pros and cons for all these platforms, a nd I can even point out my favorite (Android), but does that mean my favorite will apply to my neighbor? Your boss? No.

And by the way, other than Nokia, no other OEM makes better devices than Apple. Stop it. HTC? Great design, crappy materials. Sony? Great materials crappy designs. Granted this is subjective, but objectively speaking, construction-wise Apple and Nokia make superior products to pretty much everyone else. Both companies also seem to genuinely care about customer service.

Have a problem with your SIII? Your One X? Good luck with that.

Im laughing at the implimation that any iphone is more durable than my HTC inspire 4G, which I have dropped a significant amount of times without any physical defects left on it.

My main problem with the iPhone has nothing to do with its design, which ergonomically, is perfectly fine. Its the fact that with iOS you have little control on what goes on with your phone. Android tells you what apps can do what and gives you the oppurtunity to see all processes and services running in the background. Android allows you to install apps outside the app store without any hacks (unless the service provider locks that feature, which has been done in the past.) Android has widgets, granting the less-savvy users methods of easily accessing the time, the weather, facebook, or any other app that comes with widgets. What significant advantage does iOS have over android? the fact that you can brag to your friends about it?
Ima ignore ripplemans post for now as it is completely irrelevant to the point he knows I was trying to make.

This is crap, considering how Amazon treat companies affiliated with it and the pay for a review stance of the company...

Really? Apple tax, foxxconn suicides, endless lawsuits..

Reputable is not a word I would ever have used for apple.

Isn't it ironic that Amazon is seen in Europe as a company that is really bad for its employees, I quote a recent article of the #1 Dutch newspaper, translated with Google:

"Working conditions in the world's biggest online store Amazon arouse resentment among unions in the Netherlands, Great Britain and Germany. Low wages, tight lunchtime, enormous distances in the distribution and especially the rapid exchange of permanent by temporary workers are criticisms. Talking between workers is strictly forbidden"

Source: telegraaf.nl feb. 12 2013, title "Amazon.com in vizier Nederlandse bonden"

The point you missed was more settings does not make it superior. If that was the case, I am sure you feel the same when Linux is compared to Windows.
Im laughing at the implimation that any iphone is more durable than my HTC inspire 4G, which I have dropped a significant amount of times without any physical defects left on it.

My main problem with the iPhone has nothing to do with its design, which ergonomically, is perfectly fine. Its the fact that with iOS you have little control on what goes on with your phone. Android tells you what apps can do what and gives you the oppurtunity to see all processes and services running in the background. Android allows you to install apps outside the app store without any hacks (unless the service provider locks that feature, which has been done in the past.) Android has widgets, granting the less-savvy users methods of easily accessing the time, the weather, facebook, or any other app that comes with widgets. What significant advantage does iOS have over android? the fact that you can brag to your friends about it?
Ima ignore ripplemans post for now as it is completely irrelevant to the point he knows I was trying to make.

Its probably because android is a superior OS in terms of how open it is and how customizable it is...
I see no connection between your statement and and the fact that there are "better" products.
Clearly, the superiority you see in Android is not seen by iOS users. The iPhone does everything they need it do to.

Not so much in colder environments:
http://www.thegadgetmasters.com/201...ub-zero-temperatures-compared-to-galaxy-s-ii/
Nor for many iPhone 4 users:
http://gizmodo.com/5571171/iphone-4-loses-reception-when-you-hold-it-by-the-antenna-band
When you need it, it is not easy to downgrade iOS either:
http://osxdaily.com/2010/07/28/iphone-3g-slow-ios4/

And by the way, other than Nokia, no other OEM makes better devices than Apple. Stop it. HTC? Great design, crappy materials. Sony? Great materials crappy designs. Granted this is subjective, but objectively speaking, construction-wise Apple and Nokia make superior products to pretty much everyone else. Both companies also seem to genuinely care about customer service.
Have a problem with your SIII? Your One X? Good luck with that.

I would disagree. In my household we've had more issues with iPhones than Samsung phones. My iPhone 3GS had some rust on the dock connector, so I could not access it from a computer (to add music and update). If this was an Android phone, I would be able to this over Wifi, but iOS are so restrictive that I could not circumvent the issue. I decided to send it Apple Support where they notified me that my warranty had expired. Since my warranty had expired, they offered me a 2 year old phone for 3000 NOK or 550 USD (the same price I had to pay for a new unlocked Galaxy Nexus in Norway). I declined the offer and had to pay $30 to get the phone returned. I then found a better solution on ebay. I bought a new dock connector for $20 and fixed the iPhone in less than 20 min.

Would you say Apple was helpful in my situation? They could at least given me a better price on the 2 year old phone, or given me an offer on an iPhone 4S. At least they could notify me that I could fix this issue myself (for only 20 bucks).

How did an article about consumer perception of companies turn into an iOS vs Android debate? Just curious...

Isn't it ironic that Amazon is seen in Europe as a company that is really bad for its employees, I quote a recent article of the #1 Dutch newspaper, translated with Google:

"Working conditions in the world's biggest online store Amazon arouse resentment among unions in the Netherlands, Great Britain and Germany. Low wages, tight lunchtime, enormous distances in the distribution and especially the rapid exchange of permanent by temporary workers are criticisms. Talking between workers is strictly forbidden"

Source: telegraaf.nl feb. 12 2013, title "Amazon.com in vizier Nederlandse bonden"

They think that is bad they ought to work a typical work week in the USA. 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. 1/2 hour lunch, two 15 minute breaks, deadlines to make, 2 week vacation....after working there for a gazillion years, etc.

Europeans tend to be pretty wimpy when it comes to work compared to Americans. 8 Week vacations, 5-6 hour work days with 1 1/2 hour lunch, etc. The only Europeans who I have worked with that tend to have a pretty good work ethic is the Germans.

LMAO!! I work 70+ hrs a week!! I would love to have a work week as described above. As it is I only get one day off a week and have to try and cram everything into that one day. About Amazon, they can be nice when you get the right person on the phone, the same can be said about Apple. If you get some jackwad who has had nothing but ppl yelling at him for the past six hours, then expect them to be plesant. Its not going to happen. I always try and call either early in the morning before most businesses open or around 2pm roughly. That way I can get assistance without worrying that the individual I am speaking with is pretty fresh and hasnt had to deal with a large amount of screaming *****s.

The point you missed was more settings does not make it superior. If that was the case, I am sure you feel the same when Linux is compared to Windows.
Ok then, what makes an OS better? graphical appearance? the android GUI is MAYBE 0.1% harder to learn than iOS.

Ok then, what makes an OS better? graphical appearance? the android GUI is MAYBE 0.1% harder to learn than iOS.
I actually am not saying its better. I do say though that for the masses, the extra options which are cool for control loving techies, are just simply not needed for 90% of users. A car can have 8 doors.. but how many people need 8 doors? A bathroom can have 4 toilets.. but how many people need 4 toilets? Your work office can have 10 copiers... but how many copiers do you need? At your desk, do you have every shade of blue pen? most don't need every shade. More options doesn't equal better. The strength of IOS and popularity of it is the simple concept of minimalism. It works for 90% of the people. What Android users love is the customization of options. Almost ALL the options are unnecessary to use a phone. I used to own a computer store for 8 years and been in computer service for 17 years now. I love tech and optimization. Even though I have that side of me, I use an iphone... because the other stuff that android can do I simply just do not care about. Most don't care about it. Some people on these forums do because its a passion for them. In the end, I would the actual operating system of each are just as good as each other, the thing that separates them though is their usability. before you say "you should try Android", please know I have Galaxy s2x in front of me. Before you say "you should try galaxy 3", had one for a week, same experience Also, because I have both in front of me, I can test apps on both, and in EACH CASE the IOS app is just simply better. A lot of the things are better.. face time, auto correct, better mic pickup, etc.. the list goes on. I am not an Android hater, not an Apple lover. I just use what works for me. Can I pick up my Android and make a call? Yes. But its all I prefer to do on the Android, just calls.

Back