Amazon teams with Crystal Dynamics to publish the next Tomb Raider game

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Amazon Games has partnered with Crystal Dynamics and will publish the next major entry in the Tomb Raider series. The new game doesn't yet have a name, but Amazon said it will be a single-player, narrative-driven adventure that continues Lara Croft's story across multiple platforms.

For now we know it will be built using Unreal Engine 5 and feature familiar elements like mind-bending puzzles, an array of enemies and creative pathfinding that have made Tomb Raider one of the top franchises in gaming.

The project is still in the early phase of development but promises to be the biggest and most expansive Tomb Raider title to date.

The original Tomb Raider debuted in 1996 from developer Core Design and publisher Eidos Interactive. It was a groundbreaking game for the time, with innovative 3D graphics, controls and gameplay that were unlike anything up to that point.

It stands as the ninth best-selling PlayStation game of all time with more than 7.1 million copies sold, and was the top-selling game in the franchise until the reboot dropped in 2013. In 2018, the game was inducted into the World Video Game Hall of Fame alongside John Madden Football, Final Fantasy VII and Spacewar! To date, the franchise has spawned nearly two dozen games with more than 95 million copies sold.

Tomb Raider was published by Eidos Interactive for years but eventually ended up under the wing of Square Enix. Earlier this year, Embracer Group purchased a handful of assets from Square Enix including Square Enix Montréal, Eidos Montréal, and Crystal Dynamics for $300 million.

Netflix last year announced it was working on a Tomb Raider animated series. It'll pick up after the events of the trilogy reboot and is expected to debut sometime in 2023. Showrunner Tasha Huo has stated the first season will be eight episodes long, with each episode running for 22 minutes. According to Variety, Netflix signed up for a minimum of two seasons.

Amazon said additional details on the next Tomb Raider game will be shared at a later date.

Permalink to story.

I thought Amazon had an awful track record with trying to create video games....this doesn't bode well for the next Tomb Raider game.

I wasn't a fan of the reboot of Tomb Raider (only played the first one and I laughed all the way through it).
Lara was a mix of John Wick - hanging upside down in a trap and I was able to pick off bad guys with headshots from my gun, plus you could learn to counter melee attacks and take bad guys down like John Wick
Rambo - I could stand in the open and do power shots with my bow and kill guys, rarely ever needing to duck behind cover and the....
Terminator - fall from great heights through trees, get up and keep going, fall into raging rivers and keep moving, etc. She couldn't be stopped no matter how far she fell or what kind of punishment she took......except

Only to be caught and knocked the F out by a punch (a punch! I think this happens multiple times if I remember correctly). Then you escape, go through a lot of crap to be caught again and knocked out again.....what a joke! Awful story writing.

I think the worst part of the game were the tombs. Nothing like a little 2 minute puzzle and then you get to open the chest. I spent more time trying to figure out if there were hidden areas in the tombs than I did on the puzzles in them.

The game wasn't Tomb Raider from the good old days and I don't like that they named it as such. I know people out there liked the new series, but I think the reboot is a travesty to the original games.

I thought Amazon had an awful track record with trying to create video games....this doesn't bode well for the next Tomb Raider game.

I wasn't a fan of the reboot of Tomb Raider (only played the first one and I laughed all the way through it).
Lara was a mix of John Wick - hanging upside down in a trap and I was able to pick off bad guys with headshots from my gun, plus you could learn to counter melee attacks and take bad guys down like John Wick
Rambo - I could stand in the open and do power shots with my bow and kill guys, rarely ever needing to duck behind cover and the....
Terminator - fall from great heights through trees, get up and keep going, fall into raging rivers and keep moving, etc. She couldn't be stopped no matter how far she fell or what kind of punishment she took......except

Only to be caught and knocked the F out by a punch (a punch! I think this happens multiple times if I remember correctly). Then you escape, go through a lot of crap to be caught again and knocked out again.....what a joke! Awful story writing.

I think the worst part of the game were the tombs. Nothing like a little 2 minute puzzle and then you get to open the chest. I spent more time trying to figure out if there were hidden areas in the tombs than I did on the puzzles in them.

The game wasn't Tomb Raider from the good old days and I don't like that they named it as such. I know people out there liked the new series, but I think the reboot is a travesty to the original games.

You only played the first one that's why. The two sequels put a lot more emphasis on Tombs, exploration and puzzles like the older games. Everything was improved upon.

You only played the first one that's why. The two sequels put a lot more emphasis on Tombs, exploration and puzzles like the older games. Everything was improved upon.
Perhaps that is the case, but I won't waste my time hoping they improved upon the series in the other entries. If they can't get it right in the first then why would I want to waste my time and money on potential other releases that will result in, most likely, a similar experience?

I know you can get burned by really liking a game and then a second entry is released and it blows. Look at Dying Light - love the first one, but Techland threw up all over Dying Light 2 and it's downright awful to play (even to this day, almost a year later and they keep making it worse after every update). Same with Dragon Age - the first one was really enjoyable, but Bioware regurgitated something that wasn't even comparable to the first game and I found it awful to play.

Back