AMD Athlon 64 X2 confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MartinJK

Hello tech friends.
I am in the process of buying a new rig and I am a little confused with all the new AMD 64`s out there.
This is regarding the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ CPU.
While looking at the specs, it seems like this cpu speed is 2.2Ghz
Am I missing something?
I currently have a AMD Athlon XP 2800+ and this is clocked at 2.1Ghz
Is there some hidden benefit of having a AMD 64? I dont really see much of a difference between this AMD XP which I bought 3 years ago and this AMD 64.
Is it really just a .1 Ghz difference? This cant be.
Thanks for your help

Well you can overclock the CPU a bit... I use 3 systems with AMD 64-bit and did test them with Windows XP Pro X64 and was amaze how fast they were with the 64-bit OS. Since the X2 are cheaper now you can buy them or wait for the X4 (whatever it will be called) As for the ratings of CPU really 2GHz is more than what you'll need if you want to do more video work or gaming then get a higher CPU.

A couple big differences are: The X2 4200 is a dual core processor, the XP 2800 is a single core and the X2 4200 can run 64 and 32 bit applications, the XP can only run 32 bit apps.

Also, clock speed isn't what it used to be. If you were to benchmark these 2 processors the X2 would destroy the XP series.

It's not just clock speed.

It's almost like saying that a new Conroe E6300 (conroes are the newest and the fastest in the world.... for now) which is 1.83GHz will be slower than some Athlon XP....

agi_shi said:
It's not just clock speed.

It's almost like saying that a new Conroe E6300 (conroes are the newest and the fastest in the world.... for now) which is 1.83GHz will be slower than some Athlon XP....
Or saying it's slower than a 3.06 cellery :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back