AMD Athlon Barton CPU Gets to over 80C - Cause of computer shutdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.
as the title says, my cpu (AMD Athlon 2600 Barton Core) gets to over 80c in temp, using the "SIV for GBT" app which came with my gigabyte motherboard. also these temps are shown in the bios. I am using a ThermalTake Volcano 12 heatsink and fan, and im even getting these temps with the fan on full (5400rpm) which is ridiculous.

In addition, the computer shuts down occasionally but randomly, and it's only really done a few times today. The cpu hasn't always been this hot as when i got it, it was around 35-40 but it's suddenly shot up, due to the warm weather i would have thought (im in the uk).

do you think there is something wrong with the cpu or just that the case may be getting too hot, having said that the board temp is about 45c. im sure even in these warm conditions the cpu shouldn't be getting this hot...

any suggestions would be welcome,
thanks

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I agree with Mict that your heatsink may have become loose.

It might be a good idea to remove the heatsink, and clean off all the old thermal paste/pad from both the heatsink, and the cpu die.

Then apply some new thermal paste to the cpu die, making sure to only use a very small ammount, and to spread it thinly, and evenly over the entire cpu die( the metal part of the cpu)

Now reattatch the heatsink and see how it goes.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

thanks for you replies. ill take a look at the cpu and reattach it to see if that solves it. btw, under load it was getting to over 90c!

vbslam said:
thanks for you replies. ill take a look at the cpu and reattach it to see if that solves it. btw, under load it was getting to over 90c!
Check in your bios as well, check for overclocking.
you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back