AMD just had its best quarter ever

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? AMD's continuing success isn't showing any signs of slowing down. Team red has just released its earnings report for the third quarter, and it's another record-breaker that beat expectations. Not only was it the company's most successful Q3, but it was also AMD's best quarter ever.

AMD generated $4.3 billion in revenue for the three months ending in September with operating income of $948 million, net income of $923 million, and diluted earnings per share of $0.75, beating analysts' expectations of $4.11 billion in revenue and net profit of 66 cents per share.

Revenue is up 54% compared to last year, making it the company's best-ever quarter and marking yet another quarterly report to show growth, a trend that stretches back to the second quarter of 2020.

"We delivered our fifth straight quarter of greater than 50 percent year-over-year revenue growth with each of our businesses growing significantly year-over-year and data center sales more than doubling," said AMD CEO Lisa Su. "3rd Gen Epyc processor shipments ramped significantly in the quarter as our data center sales more than doubled year-over-year. Our business significantly accelerated in 2021, growing faster than the market based on our leadership products and consistent execution."

The company's Computing and Graphics segment, which includes AMD's desktop and laptop CPU sales and its GPU sales, brought in $2.4 billion in revenue, up 44% year-over-year and 7% quarter-over-quarter, while operating income was up by $129 million YoY to $513 million, though higher operating expenses meant that figure was down slightly compared to the previous quarter.

Elsewhere, the Enterprise, Embedded and Semi-Custom segment revenue was up 69% YoY to $1.9 billion, thanks to Epyc sales and huge demand for the AMD-powered latest consoles from Microsoft and Sony.

Despite Su's belief that the chip shortage will last into the second half of 2022—more optimistic than Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger's 2023 prediction—AMD has improved its forecasts for the fourth quarter and the year. It expects a record $4.5 billion in Q4 2021, which would be up 41% YoY, while full-year 2021 growth is predicted to be up 65% compared to 2020's $9.8 billion. Intel, in contrast, is concerned that its sales could slow in Q4, even though Alder Lake is about to drop.

"Our supply chain team has executed extremely well in a challenging environment, delivering incremental supply throughout the year supporting our strong revenue growth," Su added. "We are also investing significantly to secure additional capacity to support our long-term growth."

Su also said AMD is on track to complete its acquisition of field-programmable gate array (FPGA)-maker Xilinx by the end of this year as it is making good progress toward securing the required regulatory approvals.

Permalink to story.

4.2 billion but half of that, 2.4 billion, was just the GPU market: name of the story should be "AMD revenue numbers show why they would never try to limit or curve down on GPU mining"

EDIT: As pointed out I missed that is combing CPU and GPU so we can't know for sure if it's just GPU revenue or equally strong CPU sales

Last edited:
I've very interested in what AMD can do with Xilinx under their belt (35 billion is a lot). Xilinx's biggest competitor is Altera which was bought by Intel in 2015 (50% market share vs 35% for Altera/Intel).

4.2 billion but half of that, 2.4 billion, was just the GPU market: name of the story should be "AMD revenue numbers show why they would never try to limit or curve down on GPU mining"

‚The company's Computing and Graphics segment, which includes AMD's desktop and laptop CPU sales and its GPU sales, brought in $2.4 billion in revenue‘

‚The company's Computing and Graphics segment, which includes AMD's desktop and laptop CPU sales and its GPU sales, brought in $2.4 billion in revenue‘
Oh it's combined?

I guess we probably won't know how much each.

So despite the BS spouted by Intel about AMD, AMD is still growing. I doubt any BS spouted by Intel will have any effect. If Intel manages to catch them technologically, as in the days of Core-2, maybe it will be a different story. Until then, Intel will be Intel, promoting vaporhardware.

I've very interested in what AMD can do with Xilinx under their belt (35 billion is a lot). Xilinx's biggest competitor is Altera which was bought by Intel in 2015 (50% market share vs 35% for Altera/Intel).
I don't know much about the capabilities of Altera, but back in the day, I was very familiar with what Xilinx's silicon was capable of, and it was quite impressive, IMO. It was literally a chip that had a blank slate and there seemed to me to be literally nothing that their chips were incapable of doing - provided they were programmed correctly. I agree, it will be interesting to see where AMD takes Xilinx and to see whether AMD incorporates Xilinx brainpower/IP into either or both of CPU/GPU technology.

I'm really tired of this narrative push by the tech press and the ignorance behind it.

The 1st reason AMD does not fake limit (like nvidia did and does) their mining performance on RDNA2 GPUs is because these GPUs are inferior already from the design stage to the actual working product vs Ampere in mining. They were made for gaming (see Infinity Cache), not mining. Ampere was made to be good at both.
RDNA2 is actually also inferior in mining vs RDNA1, that should be the best indicator.

The 2nd reason being they sell 5 to 8 times less GPUs than nvidia, so in the grand scheme of things it's nothing compared to the quantities nvidia sells to miners.

Well deserved. Now, gimme a mobo with PCI-E 5 and DDR5.

It's great to see expectations creep .
I haven't seen their roadmap - probably V2 revision of zen4

You give people more - they want more .
After stagnation it's great to see people getting excited again.

Nikon followers all excited at the moment for the new Z9

AMD is already rewriting their roadmaps. Zen 3 Threadripper Chagill is cancelled, only possibly a single Zen3 TR Pro with 32 cores will be released. Zen 3+ for Q1 2022, Zen 4 may be brought forward. AMD taken by surprise by Alder lake and Raptor Lake is going to be a massive update so Zen 4 needs to be a huge leap in architecture. And no I'm not Intel user I'm all in on Zen at moment, but I'm liking what Intel is doing, and maybe Raptor Lake will be my next CPU if Zen 4 falls short.

Since investing my AMD shares have grown 45%. Waiting for next dip from them and I might double down on my investment.

Since investing my AMD shares have grown 45%. Waiting for next dip from them and I might double down on my investment.
I bought AMD stocks in 2016 when first Zen rumours came and sold most of them this year.

I'm probably selling my Tesla stocks soon too :D

I bought Intel stocks last year, I expect a spike in the coming years.

I bought AMD stocks in 2016 when first Zen rumours came and sold most of them this year.

I'm probably selling my Tesla stocks soon too :D

I bought Intel stocks last year, I expect a spike in the coming years.
I'm still a baby at investing, wish I had done it sooner.

AMD is already rewriting their roadmaps. Zen 3 Threadripper Chagill is cancelled, only possibly a single Zen3 TR Pro with 32 cores will be released. Zen 3+ for Q1 2022, Zen 4 may be brought forward. AMD taken by surprise by Alder lake and Raptor Lake is going to be a massive update so Zen 4 needs to be a huge leap in architecture. And no I'm not Intel user I'm all in on Zen at moment, but I'm liking what Intel is doing, and maybe Raptor Lake will be my next CPU if Zen 4 falls short.

Taken by surprise what are you talking about, everyone knew Alder Lake would come and it has been known for a long time that it would be Hybrid big.LITTLE design.

AMD can't move Zen 4 forward, because they need TSMC 5nm to do this and Apple owns this proces for now. Using TSMC 5nm this soon would wreck AMDs pricing anyway. They will do refreshed 5000 series on 6nm TSMC aka optimized 7nm and still AM4 with 3D Cache and hope this will close the gap for now. I expect prices will be alot lower than 5000 series across the board. The refreshed 5600X SKU might be 200 dollars or so. Ryzen 5800X refresh = 300 dollars aprox. i7-12700K will be 400ish for 8p cores with 4e cores + HT = 20 Cores with better single thread performance. I hope AMDs calls the refreshed models for XT instead of wasting 6000 naming scheme for this refresh, I don't expect alot tbh. 3D Cache alone is not guarrateed to deliver anything, it will vary from workload to workload, maybe (hopefully) they run with higher clockspeeds too.

Raptor Lake 13th Gen is going to be more impressive than Alder Lake and for this AMD needs 5nm + AM5 + DDR5 and I still don't expect AMD comes out on top. We will see.

Last edited:
I'm still a baby at investing, wish I had done it sooner.
So was I but I was lucky and bought what I thought would go up, and it did. Not touching bitcoin, ethereum etc. I know people who have made easy money on that but I also know people who lost alot of money. It's a lottery. I feel that stocks are far more safe, especially if you know the markets you invest in.

When you make a good product, people will buy it. Kudos to AMD and Lisa Su. I am a fan and an admirer of their success.

Back