AMD launches Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta driver for Star Wars Battlefront

Scorpus

Staff member

AMD has today launched the Catalyst 15.11.1 beta drivers for their Radeon graphics cards, bringing performance optimizations for Star Wars Battlefront ahead of the game's launch tomorrow.

The release notes for the Catalyst 15.11.1 beta drivers don't specifically say what performance optimizations you'll get for Star Wars Battlefront, but considering AMD's close work with EA in the past, it looks like this game will support features such as CrossFire at launch.

The Catalyst 15.11.1 drivers also bring performance optimizations for Call of Duty: Black Ops III; Assassin's Creed Syndicate, which is set to launch on PC on November 19th; and Fallout 4. Unfortunately, these new drivers still don't support CrossFire in Fallout 4, as the game engine itself needs work before AMD (and Nvidia) can release multi-GPU-optimized drivers.

There are a couple of known issues in these drivers that gamers should be aware of. Both Star Wars Battlefront and Assassin's Creed Syndicate cannot be launched in full screen mode on some laptops with an Intel CPU and AMD GPU, while Black Ops III may flicker on occasion while CrossFire is enabled.

As usual, you can download the Catalyst 15.11.1 beta drivers from our driver download section, or let the Catalyst Control Center perform a manual update.

Permalink to story.

Tested FO4 with updated drivers
[Fury X/ 8350@4.8Ghz/ 1440p/ Max Settings/ 16x TSAA]

Massive improvements in the overworld. Very few significant drops, even with multiple enemies. Perfect 60fps with Vsync on. Not a single drop, inside or outside, in Goodneighbor.
Before the update, the area would have drops as low as 40fps at the same settings. Occasional drops during evening and morning cycles (when "God Rays" are most prevalent), however, setting God Rays to low shows little to no discernable visual difference with the high setting, and handily cuts performance impact.

-Kinder of SOGOpod

I'm still running 15.10 because 15.11 broke ocean tessellation in Assassin's Creed Rogue. I don't think a small incremental update will restore functionality. I'm expecting the Crimson drivers.

I am waiting for a performance review of star wars battlefront

It's the best part of the game. Runs absolutely flawless. 1080p (render resolution at 120%) absolutely maxed out, TAA, TOTALLY SOLID 60 fps every single second on i7 4770k and a single R9 290 (have 2 but no reason to use second card when I can already downsample a little) and 16 GB RAM.

Back