AMD leaks then removes announcement of AI noise-canceling function

Daniel Sims

Staff
What just happened? A leaked video indicates AMD could soon release a noise-canceling tool that sounds similar to Nvidia's. It might suggest AMD is preparing to incorporate AI functionality into its consumer hardware, but it's not enough to determine whether the company has an answer to Nvidia's tensor cores.

On Thursday, AMD posted a video on YouTube detailing a new functionality called AMD Noise Suppression. The company quickly set the video to private, but not before someone saved a low-resolution copy, reposting it on the AMD subreddit before being removed again. AMD apparently isn't ready to talk about the new feature, but it sounds much like RTX Voice.

Released in 2020, Nvidia's RTX Voice cancels all sound except for a speaker's voice during a call or voice chat, integrating with many gaming and productivity apps. The AMD Noise Suppression video – currently still viewable – describes similar functionality using a deep learning algorithm and supporting various apps and games. AMD employs machine and deep learning in its Instinct server accelerators, but the Noise Suppression video shows someone working on a laptop in a home office, suggesting consumer-level usage.

The announcement is the second recent piece of information implying AMD AI features. In late June, a repository update mentioned matrix instructions in the company's upcoming RDNA 3 graphics cards. One known leaker thinks this signifies RDNA3 will use AI-accelerated image reconstruction similar to how Nvidia RTX GPUs employ DLSS.

However, AI-assisted noise canceling doesn't necessarily require hardware like the tensor cores RTX cards need for DLSS. Nvidia's older GTX GPUs can also use RTX voice despite what the name says.

According to AMD's video, Noise Suppression will be part of the company's Adrenalin graphics driver software. The teaser ends with the words "available now," indicating the feature's launch could be imminent.

Permalink to story.

I like that AMD is making pressure :) sadly they just are following instead of having fresh ideas:
- DLSS Nvidia was first
- VRR AFAIK Nvidia was first
- noise canceling Nvidia was first
- good drivers Nvidia was first

I like that AMD is making pressure :) sadly they just are following instead of having fresh ideas:
- DLSS Nvidia was first
There is Amd resizable bar, the problem with AMD vs INTEL (bribery) and Nvidia (Monopoly) is that those two companies break the Law and earn more money than any 'if any' penalty they would ever get. At the end of the day they are much more richer and have more resource.

- DLSS Nvidia was first
None of those are "fresh" ideas nor was Nvidia first. They just got on the market first with some.
For example, DLSS was based on previous work done for a machine learning API integrated into Windows and DirectX that could be used for upscaling (DirectML). MS wanted something for XBox. Nvidia's idea was to add tensor cores to hardware accelerate the ML code more efficiently.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/gaming-with-windows-ml/

- DLSS Nvidia was first

Cause nobody had good video card drivers before Nvidia existed.

You are aware ATI had good video card drivers in the 80's right and Matrox... And S3? Then there was 3Dfx and PowerVR, and on and on.

Soon: "You know Nvidia invented the concept of drivers right? Video cards too!"

*sighs*

Cause nobody had good video card drivers before Nvidia existed.

You are aware ATI had good video card drivers in the 80's right and Matrox... And S3? Then there was 3Dfx and PowerVR, and on and on.

Soon: "You know Nvidia invented the concept of drivers right? Video cards too!"

*sighs*

The moment you ran into anything 3d on any of these cards (except 3dfx and NVIDIA ), you ran into various rendering issues / stability issues/ performance issue.

It took ATI until after r300 had been out a few years before they replaced all the driver folks with the artx team, and finally had stable game play.

But, as they have added more features to remain competitive with NV, they have added in tons of corner-case bugs once-again into the drivers. And since they completely redesigned with GCN, there is still the traditional old ATI teething period with every new architecture

Last edited:
You should really educate yourself first before showing your fanboyism.
Well educated. Zero fanboyism. My graphics are Intel's and Apple's. I had in the past ATI, Matrox and recently AMD and Nvidia. The best drivers by far were Nvidia's.

But if you say otherwise......

Well educated. Zero fanboyism. My graphics are Intel's and Apple's. I had in the past ATI, Matrox and recently AMD and Nvidia. The best drivers by far were Nvidia's.

But if you say otherwise......

Or

I digress, go read about all the driver issues they have had in the past 20 years. Go on I'll wait.

Never mind you wont, again, they all have issues, every card manufacturer in the industry.

Last edited:

Or

I digress, go read about all the driver issues they have had in the past 20 years. Go on I'll wait.

Never mind you wont, again, they all have issues, every card manufacturer in the industry.
You (want to) confuse having issues (which *all* have. Is there such thing as no issues at all?) with having a lot of big issues. Nvidia is the biggest GPU maker (as of medium and high end versions) with difference and it speaks for itself. If drivers and gpu were as bad (or good) as AMD's, then Nvidia wouldn't sell as much as they do.

Nevertheless, AMD is winning the console battle which helps a lot to gather expertise in the software and hardware.

Back