AMD readies 3.6GHz Phenom II X4 975

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

AMD is reportedly gearing up to deliver a new addition to its Phenom II lineup in an effort to better compete with Intel's Lynnfield and upcoming Clarkdale processors. Dubbed Phenom II X4 975, the chip should come out sometime in the first half of 2010 and deliver a 200MHz speed boost over their current flagship. That would make this a 3.6GHz part probably featuring a 140W thermal envelope as the original X4 965.

AMD could get the Phenom II X4 975 down to 125W with a new stepping of the Deneb silicon further down the road, according to Fudzilla. The new processor is expected to be priced around the $200 mark, where the Phenom II X4 965 currently sits, and will be joined sometime next year by a six-core desktop part compatible with existing AM2+ and AM3 motherboards to compete with the higher-end Core i7s.

Codenamed Thuban, this chip is expected to have lower clock frequencies, house 6MB of L3 cache and feature an integrated DDR3 controller.

Permalink to story.

Still think AMD has a good bit of catching up to do. Hopefully they can put their Billion dollar settlement to good use.

They may have some catching up to do, but they are damn smart while they are doing it. They are making new processors that fit older boards, not forcing a complete motherboard and CPU (and usually RAM) simultaneous upgrade (like intel does). So, there's a potential for a lot of revenue for rebuilding and tweaking of older systems while they continue to move forward on the newer stuff. Considering the economic state of the world right now, budget consciousness is a big plus.

It has a new codename? So it has some design changes compared to Deneb or it's just a clock increase?

Back in 1993, Iv'e have been using Intel as my main processor. Ever since my friends told me about AMD cpu's, I was sold. I have a AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE processor that can perform and do things that ANY Intel cpu can at half the price. AMD doesn't need alot of catching up to do, they just need to play thier game right. I am a true believer in AMD cpu's when it comes to price and performance.. Intel is just plain overpriced for average user.

you can get an i5 processor for 149.99 at microcenter, and a good motherboard probably just over 100. The i5 can equal if not exceed the performance of the 965. Building an AMD system from scratch is hardly cost effective.

I am still w/Intel... about to build a new PC. Very disappointed w/Intel - no 1600MHz memory clock support, even in 1k Extreme series. Too bad. Now, seriously considering to switch and build an AMD platform since I don't expect to see any mainstream difference between 975 from Intel or AMD - except the price tag, of course :)

Sounds like a good deal for $200. But last time I bought AMD was a Phenom II quad black edition and it was DOA.

It's called Bulldozer. The last time AMD came out with a cool name, they beat Intel in CPU architecture, innovation & technology. That CPU design was code name Hammer. Now we are getting Bulldozer, perhaps this means AMD plans on bulldozing the competition.

The interesting thing about AMD’s brand new built from the ground up CPU micro-architecture is they are withholding certain key details about the design from its competition.

Don’t underestimate AMD and its new management team, Bulldozer is being designed to outperform Intel’s Sandy Bridge CPU design. Sandy Bridge is to take over Nehalem in 2011. It was said by leaked internal sources that AMD’s future 2011 CPU based on Bulldozer should be approx: 85% to 150% faster in most circumstances than Intel’s current Nehalem clock for clock. If that is the case, then Intel has a lot of work ahead of itself with Sandy Bridge, because Nehalem’s speed boost over Conroe was less than stellar IMO.

Are you an AMD insider or something, because you sould like you know what you are talking about. Just like to add, a quad-core bulldozer CPU will be like having 8 individual cores to pump out 8 threads. I think I see where AMD is taking this to, they are looking into the future and there's no better way than to take this route I guess.

It's funny how yesteryear Intel refused to follow AMD's footsteps. But they've been quietly following AMD's lead because they have no choice.
Where AMD leads, Intel follows PERIOD!!!

One can't be a follower and expect to lead the industry right? Intel has not been leading and still is not leading.
AMD's Leads the way!!!
First x86 Dual-Core Processor.
First to break the historic 1GHz w/ the AMD Athlon™ processor.
First superscalar RISC - K5
First to use "Flip-Chip" technology - K6
First on-chip L2 cache - K6-3
First use of copper interconnects - K7
First fully pipelined, superscalar floating point unit - K7
First to extend x86 to 64-bits (AMD64) - K8
First to enabled (the world's first) commercially available DDR SDRAM PC - AMD-760 chipset
AMD's technology choices forced Intel to scrap the BTX form factor.
AMD pushed for DDR SDRAM and WON - Intel pushed for Rambus and LOST.
etc. x 1000

Don't forget AMD was first to implement an integrated memory controller(a move that intels nehalem almost directly copied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back