AMD releases Catalyst 14.2 Beta driver for Thief

Scorpus

Staff member

Today, AMD has launched a brand new driver for those with a Radeon GPU. The Catalyst 14.2 Beta driver is geared towards supporting Eidos Montreal's Thief, which launches today in North America and has been optimized specifically for AMD hardware.

Right from the start, Thief will support 4K gaming, Eyefinity, CrossFire and a range of graphical effects that both AMD and Nvidia users can benefit from. This includes shader-accelerated depth of field effects, silhouette-enhancing tessellation, complex shadowing, and SSAA.

AMD claims Thief performs better on their hardware when compared to competing Nvidia products, and provides figures to back it up. For example, the Radeon R9 290X has a 5 FPS performance advantage over the GeForce GTX 780 Ti when gaming at 4K resolutions on Very High Quality settings, according to their data. We'll be testing Thief in the coming days to see if AMD's claims are in fact verifiable.

Other updates in the Catalyst 14.2 Beta driver include fixes for the Mantle codepath in Battlefield 4, resolving issues with multi-GPU setups, and frame-pacing support in both Battlefield 3 and 4 for multi-GPU, non-XDMA users running the games at high resolutions.

AMD has also improved their open source Radeon Linux drivers, packing in new features including the Video Compression Engine (supporting hardware-accelerated H.264 encoding of 1080p60 content), video and 2D acceleration via the GLAMOR library, tiling support on GCN products, and an OpenGL feature level upgrade to 4.3.

The Catalyst 14.2 Beta driver is available for download here.

Permalink to story.

Cool, I hope the multi-gpu support is better with mantle enabled on bf4 since it's reliability was abysmal.

Since 13.4 always get message u have installed latest version and update stopped.
Before 13.4 got this message 2 years from 11 or 12 xx version.
In last 3 years was 1 update success.
Thanks AMD

Since 13.4 always get message u have installed latest version and update stopped.
Thanks AMD
it's because you have an old video card. Just install the new beta if you want, but I doubt it will help much.

Last edited:
Thanks AMD
Install the last driver that worked for you. As Puiu say's it sounds like you have a very old card.

Yes, there is happened, at last this beta installed success, cant believe

Feature Highlights of The AMD Catalyst™ 14.2 Beta V1.3 Driver for Windows®
Thief: Crossfire Profile update and performance improvements for single GPU configurations
Mantle: Multi-GPU configurations (up to 4 GPUs) running Battlefield 4 are now supported
Frame Pacing for Dual Graphics and non-XDMA configurations above 2560x1600 are now supported with Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4
Dual graphics DirectX 9 application issues have been resolved
Minecraft: Missing textures have been resolved
3D applications no longer see intermittent hangs or application crashes
Resolves corruption issues seen in X-plane

Known Issues
Notebooks based on AMD Enduro or PowerXpress™ technologies are currently not supported by the Mantle codepath
Thief does not render the right eye when CrossFire and Stereo 3D is enabled

BF4 works pretty smoothly with Mantle now at last, the stutters are far more rare. Haven't had any of the lock ups or graphics artifacts 14.1 was giving me...... yet.

Well I tried some BF4 and it now works in eyefinity with 3 way CFX enabled which makes me happy. Also some issue with a few games was fixed (Specifically LoL would not bump core clock on my 290X correctly and now it does).

Crossfired 7970 Ghz edition. These betas kill what was a nice smooth experience in BF4 at 2560x1440 before. Going back to the 13.12 non beta ones. Mantle offers nothing to me at present.

Back