AMD Ryzen 7 4800U Review: Mind-Boggling Performance at 15W

Scorpus

Staff member

Today's review is all about the Ryzen 7 4800U, AMD's top-of-the-line APU for lightweight laptops, also known as ultrabooks. This is the best Renoir die AMD has to offer from an efficiency standpoint, aiming to bring the great performance to 15W and 25W power envelopes.

Read the full article here.

Laptops Used for Testing:

• Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 7
  • Lenovo ThinkPad T14
  • HP Envy x360 (4500U)
  • Lenovo IdeaPad 14
  • Acer Swift 3 14 Ice Lake
  • Razer Blade 15 Base
  • MSI GE66 Raider 10SGS
  • Asus TUF Gaming A15 FA506IV
  • MSI GL65 Leopard 10SEK
  • MSI GS66 Stealth 10SE
  • Asus TUF Gaming A15 FA506IU
  • Asus TUF Gaming A15 FA506II
  • Gigabyte Aorus 15G XB
  • Asus Zephyrus G14 GA401IV
  • Asus ZenBook Pro Duo UX481FL
  • Razer Blade Stealth 2019
  • MSI Prestige 14 A10SC
  • Gigabyte Aorus 15
  • MSI GE75 Raider 9SF
  • Rader Blade Pro 17
  • Asus ROG Strix Scar III G531G
  • Gigabyte Aorus 15 XA
  • Acer Predator Helios 300 (9750H)
  • Asus ZenBook UM433D

Last edited by a moderator:
Lenovo - claiming 17.5 hours battery - even if 12 or 14 that's impressive for such a grunty piglet.
Intel better hope they don't seriously improve the GPU.
Was this a chip touted just for OEMS ? = I sure modders /media servers all those users would love it - If next years model can double the graphics it would be a killer tiny pc/emulator - whatever

Great review, thanks.

So in summary, the 4800u gets crushed by Ice Lake in Adobe PDF (@15W) and additionally in Photoshop (@25W) but only has a negligible performance advantage in totally irrelevant tasks.

/s

Wow, that is pretty much 15w ownage...and leading in 25w for most tests using 10 watts less.

So in summary, the 4800u gets crushed by Ice Lake in Adobe PDF (@15W) and additionally in Photoshop (@25W) but only has a negligible performance advantage in totally irrelevant tasks...
Using the PDF @ 15W comparison, you're calling 89.9s to 88.7s a "crushing", but in benchmarks like DaVinci, you're describing a more than 60% performance advantage (140 to 86) as "negligible"?

I leave open the question as to whether apps like DaVinci and MatLab are "irrelevant tasks".

Nice comparison, but I’d love to see how that reflects on battery life and purchase price...

Alas, there still aren't any for actual sale... And practically nothing on the high end... I wonder how long Dell's contract with Intel lasts... I'd love to see this is an XPS...

This is depressing reading for someone who bought a laptop with a 3500u 11 months ago. It’s junk, I hugely regret buying it. My 2 year old basic £300 iPad edits video far far easier. I should have bought an iPad Pro not this Zenbook junk.

That's as complete a thrashing as I've ever seen in a head to head comparison. Looking forward, I don't think Tiger Lake's improvements are going to see Intel catching up in productivity tasks. If the 2x performance is legit for their new GPU, then it will take a small lead over AMD in gaming tasks.

If I remember correctly core I7 1065G7 was 1 percent faster than 4800u overall in intel slides.
It seems that intel measures overall performance by Adobe Acrobat. So we can expect a great PDF performance from tiger lake!

Amd should make native 1 ccx ryzen (not through disabling by binning) then allocate the transistors of the second ccx into gpu cores.
Most ultrabook use case doesn't need 8 cores anyway.

It's been a long time since I waited for a good AMD laptop. Now is the time to ditch the i7 laptops for good. Not that I don't like i7, but we need fairness in competition. I agree AMD should have worked harder in the mobile segment, but I think, it had done just done that.

Monopoly is never good for the consumers. The more you support it, the more you get to lose.

Alas, there still aren't any for actual sale... And practically nothing on the high end... I wonder how long Dell's contract with Intel lasts... I'd love to see this is an XPS...

This is the biggest problem with AMD, they're offering a phenomenal CPU but all the high-end, superlative-laden laptops (eg lightest laptop, longest battery life, thinnest bezel, best screen etc) are based on Intel CPUs. :( It's like Intel locked the entire high-end market to use their CPUs only. AMD needs to pressure the manufacturers to put their CPUs in some of those top end laptops.

Back