AMD unveils 2011-2012 roadmap for servers, desktops, laptops

Emil

Staff

AMD has revealed its plans for the next couple of years, including its offerings for servers, desktops, and laptops. The news comes soon after the company previewed its Brazos platform and its first Fusion APUs.

The company made the following updates to its 2012 roadmap, as always using codenames for its future products:

• Codename Krishna: two-core 28nm APUs based on the next-generation sub-one watt Bobcat CPU cores and a DirectX 11-capable GPU, designed for tablets, notebooks, HD netbooks, and desktops
  • Codename Wichita: four-core 28nm APUs based on the next-generation sub-one watt Bobcat CPU cores and a DirectX 11-capable GPU, designed for tablets, notebooks, HD netbooks, and desktops
  • Codename Trinity: a 32nm APU based on AMD's next-generation Bulldozer CPU cores and a DirectX 11-capable GPU, designed for mainstream and high-performance desktops and notebooks
  • Codename Komodo: a 32nm CPU featuring up to 10 AMD Bulldozer CPU cores designed for high-performance and enthusiast desktops
  • Codename Terramar: a 32nm server CPU based on AMD's Bulldozer CPU core targeted for the enterprise mainstream market that will scale up to 20 cores
  • Codename Sepang: a 32nm server CPU based on AMD's Bulldozer CPU core targeted for the cost-optimized, energy efficient market that will scale up to 10 cores

AMD promised more details as the company gets closer to the launch of these products, but right now it's ready to give a high-level view of its CPU and APU pipeline. That being said, AMD Fusion is arriving early next year in mainstream and ultrathin notebooks and netbooks, as well as AIO and small form factor desktops. In other words, if you think 2012 is too long of a wait, especially given that there will likely be delays, start saving for next year's shipping products.

"AMD's business model has consistently delivered operating profits this year, while the strength of our platform offerings drove continued expansion of our customer base," Dirk Meyer, AMD president and CEO, said in a statement. "The industry is at an inflection point, with users demanding technology that is more immersive and interactive. With our upcoming AMD Fusion APUs combining our DirectX 11-capable graphics processors and next-generation microprocessors on a single chip, we are poised to lead the industry's next computing era with richer, more vivid digital experiences."

Permalink to story.

AMD has already fulfilled the upcoming year with amazing technology (can't wait to see Bulldozer performance), what about their competitors?! We can expect a busy and interesting year full of new and more powerfull technology!

This doesn't help much. They're still a year behind intel. AMD you guys need to step your game up a little, thx.

I saw on fudzilla that intell will have 22nm cpu's by late next year, if that is the case then AMD will indeed still be behind. Fusion is certainly a step in the right direction, and i suspect bulldozer will be great too, but if intel stays ahead, as much as i like AMD, i will still be buying from intel. Hopefully AMD can overtake them soon.

I think Intel is way ahead of the game at the moment but these do look promising. Should be an interesting couple of years to see what both companies produce. Look forward to the first reviews/comparisons!

So far it sounds promising, but the only evidence I have read are these kind of articles about it and the odd shady youtube video? can't they have a proper "on stage" anouncment and a proper demo of other people other than AMD engineers using the chips?

It would also be nice to see the lower power chips running in an actual netbook as well rather than a bare motherboard on a worstation desk.

Thats funny for a second there why wallet..........seamed......kinda..........gulp......empty O.o
this all seems nice I am a gadget geek i would by all this stuff if i had the $ but sadly .....anyways i hope these are not too over priced

kevin1212 said:
I saw on fudzilla that intell will have 22nm cpu's by late next year, if that is the case then AMD will indeed still be behind. Fusion is certainly a step in the right direction, and i suspect bulldozer will be great too, but if intel stays ahead, as much as i like AMD, i will still be buying from intel. Hopefully AMD can overtake them soon.

My thoughts exactly. Between Intel's and AMD's news I really feel as if AMD till continue to trail a year behind and aint gonna get that crown back or even Rival Intel's for that matter. Sad.. :(

The Fusion promises to be a most interesting product and has the most potential for AMD to corner a market. I'm pretty impressed with them and their business model. Even though they technically compete with Intel, they really are just doing their own thing and are slowly making gains in both servers and notebooks which have been Intel strong points.

This doesn't point out whether they've closed the gap on Intel though. I love AMD, but I don't think their speed is up to par currently.

I had a question, what socket will "bulldozer" CPUs be using?
I am interested in the "Zambezi" and "Llano" CPUs, as they appear to be the major desktop players in the near future, although I guess that is obvious from the pictures.
Still, pricing and performance will be very interesting.

supersmashbrada said:
This doesn't help much. They're still a year behind intel. AMD you guys need to step your game up a little, thx.
Not really a year.
Anyways, I can't wait for bulldozer vs sandy bridge.

TeamworkGuy2 said:
I had a question, what socket will "bulldozer" CPUs be using?
I am interested in the "Zambezi" and "Llano" CPUs, as they appear to be the major desktop players in the near future, although I guess that is obvious from the pictures.
Still, pricing and performance will be very interesting.

Last I heard, it was supposed to be the AM3+ socket... Same socket, new pinouts, and tied to DDR3 only. Not sure if it's going to have any kind of backwards compatibility with AM3 or not.

Interesting that the next gen high end CPU will not have DX11 integrated, only the generation after that. I guess it will take until the next gen to figure out how to integrate integrated graphics with a discrete GPU that high end buyers will have. Either that or the next gen integrated GPU will be powerful enough to satisfy most users.

I wonder, will their processors finally give decent battery life to laptops?

i for one cant wait for AMD to deliver on there new cpus i hope they can compete with intels new cpu's . I think if AMD doesn't do something fast they will only go down hill after there bulldozer architecture Intel has a huge lead and amd needs to close the gap.

klepto12 said:
I think if AMD doesn't do something fast they will only go down hill after there bulldozer architecture Intel has a huge lead and amd needs to close the gap.

I don't think so, AMD will probably still continue to be very competitive in the entry + mainstream level (price/performance ratio wise); which should keep them afloat easily enough. Key is how they improve their fusion stuff for the future, because right now these offerings are 'insufficient' even for casual gamers, so I'd rather say good luck to AMD because we do 'need' competition, or else we may end up in a similar situation like what happened due to delay in fermi based products.

I really hope AMD beats the crap out of Intel these next years. I've been a loyal supporter having gone through the Duron, Athlon, AthlonXP, Athlon64, and now Phenom II. I'm looking forward to some Bulldozer to bulldoze some Bridges - may it be the Sandy or Ivy kind. ;)

i hope amd would at least have the same performance of the core i series.... and hopefully better power consumption.

Back