AMD64 3000+ to AMD64 X2 3800+ good upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

truflip

Sorry I meant to write X2, not X :(

Hi all,

Im still gaming it up with my 3000+ OC'ed from 1.8ghz to 2.25ghz currently.. I can have it at 2.4ghz but thats the most I can push out of it with my current cooling..

I have seen a huuge price drops on the X2 3800+ and with my current set up it seems to be the only upgrade I can afford.. ($169 Canadian for the CPU)

Will I see a huge difference in gaming? I play mostly counterstrike: source and some others like HL2 lost coast, eps one, GRAW, and some others...

I also do a lot of photo editing (fairly large files) and some video editing..

The 3000+ is holding up just fine but I do notice some lags when i start up my photoshop and open multiple files while a few other things are running in the background.. thats why i thot a dual core would help fix that...

Would you guys say my 3800+ has some more life into it? Ive only had it for a year.. and Im expecting another half a years life... but at the current rate of these softwares being developed.. seems like thats not the case..

any insight/help/comment/advice would be much appreicated.

for more infO: i have 2 gb of 250mhz ram (OCZ gold XTC) 320GB on SATA... and a 7600GT

Yes, that upgrade would be from single-core to dual-core; that in itself should make a pretty good difference. IMHO: GO FOR IT
--kitty500cat

very fast reply.! i didnt look at it from that perspective (1 core vs 2) .. are you saying that CPU performance would double also?

Single to dual core doesn't double performance, but it sure as hell will be noticable, expecially if you are planning on upgrading to vista at any point in the near future

2.4GHz OC is what I got out of AMD 64s is what I get too, but that's fast enough.. I am waiting on the Quad be at a good price. You'll never play catch up if you do you'll end up with a alot of PC equipment... Most software just doesn't need all this super speed, but things do move faster, but other factors come into play though.

I had seen that price drop too, was thinking about going that way, at the computer fair show it would $129 cash or less for that CPU.

Personaly im not going to vista because I heard / read about it and there seems to be alot of bugs / viruses floating around it so I might upgrade when the future games come out and have to be for Vista.. but for now I stick with XP =)

I said near future. Only stupid people or people with a few computers upgrade to a new OS right when it comes out.

I'm still a bit wary of 64bit processors, just because there are a few apps that still dont support it properly.

I guess im just gonna push my OC for now till the quad cores come out.. but then if they do come out say.. in a couple months it will take a while for them to drop in price wouldn't it?

and im not looking to upgrade to Vista.. thats just too much money.. $300 for OS is whack!

Stay with your current CPU. It is running at 3800+ speeds, and that's pretty good for most games. I've seen some benchmarks, and the single-core CPU outperforms constantly the X2 3800+. That's because most games don't use yet dual core CPU's (only some ones). And in that case, you'd have a 3200+ CPU performance only, not a true "3800+" :)

yea but what about for digital image/video processing.. i usually have photoshop cs2 and imageready + elements a a few firefoxes running in the background... hmm.. i think i will stay with this CPU n OC it to 2.5ghz..

but im just curious :p

Multi-threaded applications would benefit much more from the extra core than the extra speed brought on by the overclock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back