AMD64 Ram Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

h_pavon

I hope this post is where it should be, if not pardon me!

It's been a while since my last post, but good thing is I can always find an answer here... I currently have a amd64 3200 939 venice core and 2 sticks of 512mb DDR400, my mobo supports 4 dimms and I plan an upgrade to 2gb ram.

My main concern is what to get?... 2 more 512mb sticks to fill the 4 ram slots or swap the current 512mb sticks with 2 x 1gb??? I am looking for performance since Im a gamer!

Thx in advance!

This seems to be a topic for either "Storage & Networking" or "Other Hardware", but anyway...

The 4 512 MBs give you 2 GB but won't allow you to upgrade to more (unless you swap them like you said for GB sticks). If your a serious gamer, 2 GB should be fine and the need for more is unlikely for a while. I would just add 2 more sticks of 512 OR you could get 1 stick of 1 GB of RAM...but I'm not sure whether adding an unusual RAM stick would work as efficiently (1 GB stick and 2 512 MB sticks in one system). I would wait and see what other people suggest.

If you wanna take advantage of dual channel technology, you would need to have either 4 EXACT 512MB sticks, or 2 EXACT 1 GB sticks. Same brand, manufacturer, speed, capacity.

I think it doesn't matter too much if you have 4 sticks or two. Maybe two 1GB sticks would be a little faster, but not too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back