Amped Wireless increases Wi-Fi network range up to 1.5 miles

Leeky

Amped Wireless has unveiled two new high power, long-range wireless products that are designed to increase your Wi-Fi range by up to 1.5 miles. These devices are primarily aimed at providing wireless solutions for large buildings, but work equally well in open spaces like parks, marinas and other outdoor areas, and even building-to-building environments.

The SR600EX Pro Smart Repeater expands the range of a wireless network by repeating the signal from a wireless access point or router. It also features two network ports for connecting additional computers, network switches, a desktop PC or other device requiring wired Internet access. The AP600EX Wireless-N pro access point on the other hand simply sits on the end of your existing wired network to enable an extreme Wi-Fi range and Wireless-N speeds.

amped wireless wi-fi wireless network

As with all Amped Wireless professional series high power Wi-Fi solutions, the two new models being introduced feature waterproof enclosures and are suitable for indoor or outdoor mounting. They both use a 600mW amplifier combined with a high gain bi-directional antenna to achieve strong, wireless connections up to 1.5 miles away.

The devices even come complete with desktop stands, wall mountings or pole mounting kits, 30ft of Power over Ethernet (PoE) cable, and various adapters for installation locations lacking mains power. Both the models are priced at $179.99 and should be available from most retailers, as well as directly from the Amped Wireless online store.

Permalink to story.

If everyone has this...then we'd have a hard time trying to find our own router wireless signal from a list of other wifi signals in a 1.5mile radius =P

I keep my SSID searchable but obviously protected. My SSID is Install_virus.exe... Nobody ever tries to connect to it!! :haha:

It usually makes for a nice topic of discussion when guests search for my wireless and inform me it has a virus on it... Nope, its just my wireless network! :D

You made me want to change the name of my SSID. I was using GTFO, then I added a second ap with an SSID of WTF. I retired WTF and use only GTFO now. Maybe yours would be more of a deterrent than mine.

Aye, I got fed up with every bloke and his cat trying to connect to my router all the time. Was causing it to play up now and then making me have to reset it - usually at the worst possible moment.

Since changing my SSID to Install_virus.exe I've not had one single unknown device try and connect to my router and its not crashing any more...It obviously did the trick! :haha:

hmm; With a range of 1.5miles, many homes, dorms, and business complexes will be seen, BUT even with goofy SSIDs and good encryption, the cross-talk on adjcent channels and direct competition on the same channel will create massive chaos in getting a reliable connection.

This article discusses the dual band adaptors that are now available for the 2.4ghz & 5ghz bands which create far more open channels to avoid this problem.

I started using virus names a few years ago when I first became certified as a Cisco wireless engineer and through that process learned exactly how little protection, well truth is zero protection, hiding your ssid provides. At any one time there are approximately 35 broadcasted SSIDs and 15 non-broadcasted that I can see from my apartment. A handful of them are people's full names. A handful are addresses, including apartment #'s. A bunch are unchanged default.

I monitor the airwaves 24/7 and the difference between the connection attempts made to my networks (all virus names, including one called macdefender) and the networks listed above is staggering. In a 60 day sample I'll see 5 to 10 different MACs attempt connection. Most of which are machines I recognize. Networks with home addresses get 500-1000 attempted connections. Networks with default names get 400-900 while SSID's with peoples names get 400-700. Networks with non-broadcasted SSIDs average 300-600, most multiple attempts from the same MACs in short spurts.

Of the 50 or so networks I see regularly, 10% still use WEP and I don't need to tell you the ease at which one can get onto those networks. 10% still have no encryption, not surprisingly, most of those also have their SSIDs not broadcasted, a clear signal that the general public still believes there is safety in that procedure. About 30% use WPA/TKIP, almost as unsecure as using WEP. And the remaining using WPA2/TKIP or WPA2/AES, the latter being the most secure, but with the huge # of packets flowing through the air, an all wired network is still the safest way to work. And let's face it, not many of us live in a 10,000+ sqft home where it takes more than a minute to get to every corner of our homes.

I still remember getting my first scanner as a child and the ease with which I could hear conversations held on cordless phones for a 2 mile radius. A few years later I could listen in on cell phone conversations for a 5 mile radius. Then cordless phone makers and cell phone manufacturers started using DSS technology, something my first car based scanner had very little trouble deciphering. Now I used that scanner for good, for the most part, but my point is that the technology has changed, become more sophisticated, but so has the technology to monitor.

Cat6 IS YOUR FRIEND!

Leeky said:
I keep my SSID searchable but obviously protected. My SSID is Install_virus.exe... Nobody ever tries to connect to it!! :haha:

It usually makes for a nice topic of discussion when guests search for my wireless and inform me it has a virus on it... Nope, its just my wireless network! :D

I got you beat my friend.

My SSID is "My city Regional Police ## divison"

Nobody tries to connect at all and the fear the comes up on people faces when they scan and see it is priceless.

Back