An unexpected I/O error has occurred

Hodsocks

Hi guys, I haven't had to resort to posting a problem on here for a while, maybe I am getting a bit smarter. I was given a Lenovo laptop to replace the screen as it was cracked, after replacement I booted it up to be met with a boot error as per attached pic; windows boot error. I then tried to boot up with a usb stick loaded with win 10 to attempt a repair of windows, this resulted in a further error screen as per pic. usb drive error. The USB drive is fine as I have recently had to use it to reload windows on another machine.
My first thought was possibly a failing hard drive but I replaced the drive with an SSD drive I have with win 10 on it but had the same errors, this drive was working fine in my own pc.
At the moment I am puzzled as to what may be going on, so am hoping you guys may have some words of wisdom for me.
As an update, I have ran memtest86 and detected no problems, removed the hard drive and connected it to my pc and was able to access the data on it, also ran error check scan, sfc /scannow and defragged the drive without any issues. Replaced the drive back in the laptop, booted it up but as before it boots to windows logo and runs diagnostics for less than 10 seconds and throws up the blue screen message as attached.
When the usb win 10 boot drive is in, it boots to that, asks if I want 32 or 64 bit, starts loading files and then throws up the other error screen.
As a further update I tried to reload the software using the Lenovo one key button, it came up with the option screen so I selected system recovery and then it went straight to the windows boot error screen.
I have to say I am getting increasingly confused as to what the heck is going on here.

Attachments

• usb drive error.jpg
    usb drive error.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Windows boot error.jpg
    Windows boot error.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
As yet another update, I have now replaced the hard drive and came to reload windows but am getting the same message when I boot from my usb stick, which baffles me even more.

I believe the partition map has been damaged.
Boot any other media and access the laptop HD. The run Gparted tool.
See the manual here

Maybe the mainboard was damaged during the event that damaged the screen? it's possible. Taking it out and inspecting both sides is a pain.

Thanks for your comments, I don't think the partitioning can be a problem as I am having the same problem with a new drive.
The thought of an issue with the mainboard did cross my mind as the screw mounts for the hinges were all broken suggesting some force had been applied to break those and the screen. Changing the mainboard is not an option due to cost.

Understandable ...today's laptops use system on a chip design so the motherboard might come with a new CPU/graphics on it which raises the cost. =(

As a further update, I produced another windows 10 usb drive, formatted the new drive when I connected it to my own pc and placed it back into the laptop, still the same error as per the usb drive error pic. I also replaced the hard drive with a ssd drive that I know is good and yet still I get the same error. I now assume it is not an issue with the drives, but why is it showing the error about the winload.efi.

I had a customer's Dell desktop toss me errors no matter what I tried. Eventually I determined it had to be in the mainboard and I was right. As soon as we replaced that all the crazy errors went away.

Well I am beginning to think it may be an issue with the motherboard, so I guess the laptop will end up in the bin, which is a shame considering the amount of time I have spent on it,

Pointing to the MB just drives me crazy -- it's just too hard to justify. Changing the MB on a laptop is no fun and I honestly doubt anyone asserting that they went thru that terrible experence. It was H**L just replacing the button battery on mine and I'm good with hardware. Win/10 and the UEFI system is far more likely to me.

Have you attempted to reset to the legacy MBR boot rather than the UEFI nonsense?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back