Analogue Nt all-aluminum NES is now available for pre-order

Shawn Knight

Staff member

analogue nes nintendo retro aluminum nintendo entertainment system game console analogue nt

There are a lot of gaming-related things you can buy with $499 – an Xbox One with Titanfall, a PlayStation 4 with the game of your choice and change to spare, a Wii U and multiple titles or an all-aluminum Nintendo Entertainment System. Wait, what?

A company by the name of Analogue Interactive is now taking pre-orders for the Analogue Nt, a NES remake that’s quite literally a work of art. The machine is precision fabricated from a single, solid block of 6061 aluminum and uses the exact same CPU and PPU found in the original – the Ricoh 20A3 and Ricoh 2C02.

analogue nes nintendo retro aluminum nintendo entertainment system game console analogue nt

It also uses the identical controller ports from the original NES so it’ll be compatible with all original hardware and accessories, from the NES Zapper to the Famicom Disk System. Outputs include RGB, component, s-video and composite. With an HDMI adapter (sold separately), buyers will be able to connect to an HDTV for upscaling directly from RGB to 1080p or 720p.

The company says that unlike the knock off and emulation systems that riddle the market today, the Analogue Nt is the only NES on the market that is built with original hardware. The system is region free and supports all NES, Famicom and Famicom Disk System games.

Your $499 investment includes the console and all of the necessary cables to connect it to your television. Unfortunately, you’ll need to spring extra for NES / Famicom controllers.

Permalink to story.

How do they source those old chips? Surely no fab will be interested in making them. Maybe they have a stockpile of old NES's...

499$?
The company says that unlike the knock off and emulation systems that riddle the market today, the Analogue Nt is the only NES on the market that is built with original hardware.
if I go back to NES gaming, I'll stick with the free NES emulator. :)

This is kinda pricey considering I have 2 NES's and they both were only like (Well one was a gift along time ago lol) 30 bucks. Sure this plays Famicom games as well, but you can get a Famicom (I own one of those as well) for under 50 bucks on ebay so I do not see the point.

If this had the Famicom Disk system built in, I might be able to justify it a bit more since those cost alot more and require maintenance at times. But alas it does not...(I love the Famicom disk system, its a kick *ss game console)

After reading about this thing a few hours ago, I did some homework as to why it even exists. I haven't touched my NES in probably... 10+ years, so I had no clue it really doesn't work well on LCD TVs. Apparently TVs can scale the image properly, or quickly, so they've made external video scalers to add scan lines, reduce input lag, and clean the image. Apparently those things cost around $400+/-. So for someone in the market for one of those things this might not be a bad deal. However that $400 scaler will also work with your SNES, N64, PS1, Genesis, etc. Honestly I agree misor run them on a PC with an emulator. You can use any PC at all, and it will process all the scaling options for you. If you already own the cartridges somewhere it's not illegal to download the ROM, and you don't have to buy any other hardware (expect a USB adapter for an NES controller.) I suppose there's a market for it, otherwise it wouldn't exist.

Surely with the small size of the roms stick a 20gb SSD in and you would have space left over, maybe 50% to run the roms from a hdd. Would that not work. Cause for £500 with an SSD in, and every game available, I could see people thinking sure, why not ? Or hybrid this, with a Wii in some way?

Back