Analysts say iPhone 12 might ship without a charger

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: We’re moving ever closer to September and the announcement of the next iPhones, which means a deluge of rumors and speculation. One of the latest comes from analysts at British bank Barclays: the iPhone 12 won’t come with Apple’s EarPods headphones, and it might not even have a power brick.

As reported by MacRumors, the bank’s predictions are based on discussions with multiple Apple suppliers. The analysts’ research note claims that none of the iPhone 12 models will ship with EarPods in the box. That does sound entirely possible; renowned Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo made the same prediction last month. He believes the decision will help boost demand for Apple’s AirPods.

If Apple does drop the earbuds, the next handsets would be the first iPhones not to include them in the box. But with wireless options now most people’s preferred choice, Apple might believe the decision won’t annoy too many fans.

What would annoy people, however, is the prospect of Apple not including a power brick with any of the iPhone 12 models, leaving buyers with just a USB-C to Lightning cable. While this could save Apple money, which would hopefully be reflected in the iPhones’ selling price, and be good for the environment, those without a USB-C charger at home won’t be happy about having to pay extra.

Not including a power brick does sound very unlikely, and we recently saw photos allegedly showing a 20W adaptor that will be included with the iPhone 12.

Elsewhere, Barclays believes mass production of the iPhone 12 is four to six weeks behind schedule. It writes that while the handsets will be announced in September, some models won’t be launched until October or November. It also expects the two high-end devices to feature a triple-lens camera system and LiDAR scanner.

With looming recessions and the smartphone market in decline, Apple could be looking to price its iPhones more reasonably this year. If rumors are true, one 4G model will cost just $549.

Image credit: abolukbas

Permalink to story.

Considering how many people buy a new iPhone every year or two, it would be reasonable for them to not include the earbuds and brick in the retail box. Apple could offer them as free extras any time you buy a phone.

I'm down. Getting less things makes the experience more intimate. When your iPhone runs out of juice just go out and buy another one.

So? I'm not an Apple fan, never had one, but, I can't remember the last time I used the power brick that came with my phone. I just plug it into the computer, since I do not like rapid charging. I know it's a pain, but I prefer SLOW charging.

If the suggested wifi charging works then there's no need for a cord or even a place to put it, but there's no evidence anyone has that working enough for Apple to put it in their phones yet.

Which only works if you already have a (compatible) wireless charger. Nor does it make sense to eliminate 1 option simply because another option may be available. Note, for example, that although most smartphones & MP3 players have Bluetooth that lets you connect to the audio system in new cars, they still also come standard with a "backup" USB port.

And to borrow the car analogy...imagine buying a new car at the dealership, but the new car doesn't come with the 12V battery, & the gas tank is 100% empty, but you're expected to handle driving it off the lot yourself. Do you think you'd ever go back to that dealership again?

If any company has the balls to do it it’s Apple. They were first to drop the headphone jack, everyone screamed and then a few years later all the other companies started doing the same thing.

Personally though I would still like some way to charge my phone when using it. Wireless charging is great but you can’t use your phone as it’s charging. If Apple have a solution to this then awesome.

Also, there are advantages, the phone could be waterproof enough to take scuba diving. As a diver I would appreciate this, especially as the camera on my 11 pro max is already better than my GoPro Hero 8. Also you won’t get dust and crap etc in there and the amount of e waste saved from shipping phones without cables and chargers would be enormous!

Back