Anatomy of a Storage Drive: Solid State Drives

It seems to me that part of the reason the industry is so slow to develop larger SSD is because they don’t want us using SSD to store a whole lot of our files as it may fail.

I have 10TB of SSD storage spread across five 2TB Crucial MX500 and I’m waiting for a reasonably priced 5TB drive so I can reduce the number of SSD to just 2- thereby backing up my data.

It takes so long to backup to my HDD NAS, that I would prefer an SSD solution.

Attachments

• 4906C010-5C23-4EE2-87EF-81952FC1FA32.jpeg
    4906C010-5C23-4EE2-87EF-81952FC1FA32.jpeg
    331.5 KB · Views: 1
My laptop came with a 500GB NvMe drive, swapped it out for a 1TB drive.
The 500GB is smaller than a postage stamp. The shrinking world of micro-electronics

It's magnetic. It's electric. It's photonic. It's solid state lightning! I really am loving my Samsung NvME 970 Pro in my laptop. That gaming laptop boots in a few seconds and hardly any loading times for games.

It seems to me that part of the reason the industry is so slow to develop larger SSD is because they don’t want us using SSD to store a whole lot of our files as it may fail.

I have 10TB of SSD storage spread across five 2TB Crucial MX500 and I’m waiting for a reasonably priced 5TB drive so I can reduce the number of SSD to just 2- thereby backing up my data.

It's more to do with price. You can't compete with other cloud storage services if you have six times the cost in drives alone. You can't pass that kind of cost onto the customer and that's not something you can just eat. It doesn't make sense either when you can purchase a much smaller number of SSDs and use them for caching either. Benefits of both really.

So, the chance of HDD failure is less than that of an SSD? I don't think so!

The pic above shows that they aren't even using the space of a 2.5"... It would be nice if they would double the storage by using the whole enclosure.

I'm still puzzled why they didn't just keep the 3.5" standard with even more chips and we would be having SSD drives with (nearly) as much storage as a HDD. :mad:

samsung has 15TB SSD
https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/ssd/enterprise-ssd/

The pic above shows that they aren't even using the space of a 2.5"... It would be nice if they would double the storage by using the whole enclosure.

I'm still puzzled why they didn't just keep the 3.5" standard with even more chips and we would be having SSD drives with (nearly) as much storage as a HDD. :mad:

What's so puzling? Not much of a market for $1600 16 TB SSDs.

It's magnetic. It's electric. It's photonic. It's solid state lightning! I really am loving my Samsung NvME 970 Pro in my laptop. That gaming laptop boots in a few seconds and hardly any loading times for games.

Don't want to rain on your parade or anything, but a 970 Pro is way too overkill for gaming and regular use. In fact the performance improvement is probably barely distinguishable from a SATA SSD, in normal consumer tasks. Just thought I'd point that out

Pretty good article, but kind of glossed over some points like the shorter life expectancy of SSD compared to HDD (in terms of TBW in normal operating conditions). Cell wear was mentioned but could have been expanded upon.

Also, $350 is rather high for 1 or 2 TB SSDs currently. A great performing 1TB TLC SSD with a decent rated TBW can be found for a little over $100. A 2TB for just over $250. Granted, those prices still aren't anywhere near as good as a standard HDD in price per GB.

On a personal note, after using NVMe SSDs for over a year now, I can honestly say it would be painful to go back to a spinning plate drive as my daily operating drive. For me, the price and the capacity sacrifice are worth it.

It's a pretty simple thing. They just used an already accepted size. That is why they used the 2.5" format for almost all SSDs. 3.5" would be waaay too big for such a small thing and I think there are over 10TB SSDs, wich are the same size (2.5") but filled to the brim. Plus the price...

Back