Anisotropic filtering past 2x on high resolutions?

Zilliak

Do you nee AF past 2x at high resolutions like 1080p on the pc?
I am asking this because I hear rumors that it doesnt do anything past 2X on high resolutions?

FYI: the wiki says
In 3D computer graphics, anisotropic filtering (abbreviated AF) is a method of enhancing the image quality of textures on surfaces of computer graphics that are at oblique viewing angles with respect to the camera where the projection of the texture (not the polygon or other primitive on which it is rendered) appears to be non-orthogonal (thus the origin of the word: "an" for not, "iso" for same, and "tropic" from tropism, relating to direction; anisotropic filtering does not filter the same in every direction).

Are you sure you re not getting AF mixed up with AA? many people insist that AA is not needed at higher resolutions like 1080p
(I'm not one of them)

For as long as games use textures, anisotropic filtering is something you will want regardless of resolution as this helps compensate for mipmapping, which is the process of scaling/translating textures based on viewpoint and perspective.

The good news is, anisotropic filtering really has very little performance hit on modern video cards and most new GPU's have many texture samples per clock, so 2x to 8x (or 16x) really wont instigate any real, measurable performance drop.

Back