Anonymous attacks Sony PlayStation website in support of GeoHot

Emil

Staff

The hacker group Anonymous has begun targeting Sony's online Playstation store today; a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack temporarily took down playstation.com (it was down earlier today, then was back up, and is now again down at the time of publishing). Sony is under fire because of its lawsuit against PS3 jailbreakers, including George Hotz, also known as GeoHot, and Graf_Chokolo.

Anonymous is also rallying participants to contribute to the DDoS attack. It appears to be a particularly successful attack: Sony is a massive corporation, but apparently an equally massive number of users are eager to show their anger with the company. Sony's official stance is as follows: if you crack your PS3, you'll get banned.

Most Anonymous are online-only attacks, but Operation Sony will also feature a protest that involves users leaving their computer. The organization has one smart trick up its sleeve: it is not picking a single location, so as not to limit maximum exposure. On April 16, 2011 Anonymous wants gamers to gather at their local Sony stores to complain in person.

This may just be Anonymous' biggest endeavor. In case you can't see the image above, here is the full text of Anonymous' message:

Dear Greedy Motherfuckers SONY,

Congratulations! You are now receiving the attention of Anonymous. Your recent legal actions against fellow internet citizens, GeoHot and Graf_Chokolo have been deemed an unforgivable offense against free speech and internet freedom, primary sources of free lulz (and you know how we feel about lulz.)

You have abused the judicial system in an attempt to censor information about how your products work. You have victimized your own customers merely for possessing and sharing information, and continue to target those who seek this information. In doing so you have violated the privacy of thousands of innocent people who only sought the free distribution of information. Your suppression of this information is motivated by corporate greed and the desire for complete control over the actions of individuals who purchase and use your products, at least when those actions threaten to undermine the corrupt stranglehold you seek to maintain over copywrong, oops, "copyright".

Your corrupt business practices are indicative of a corporate philosophy that would deny consumers the right to use products they have paid for, and rightfully own, in the manner of their choosing. Perhaps you should alert your customers to the fact that they are apparently only renting your products? In light of this assault on both rights and free expression, Anonymous, the notoriously handsome rulers of the internet, would like to inform you that you have only been "renting" your web domains. Having trodden upon Anonymous' rights, you must now be trodden on.

If you disagree with the disciplinary actions against your private parts domains, then we trust you can also understand our motivations for these actions. You own your domains. You paid for them with your own money. Now Anonymous is attacking your private property because we disagree with your actions. And that seems, dare we say it, "wrong." Sound familiar?

Let Anonymous teach you a few important lessons that your mother forgot:
1. Don't do it to someone else if you don't want it to be done to you.
2. Information is free.
3. We own this. Forever.

As for the "judges" and complicit legal entities who have enabled these cowards: You are no better than SONY itself in our eyes and remain guilty of undermining the well-being of the populace and subverting your judicial mandate.

We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not Forgive.
We do not Forget.
Expect us.

Permalink to story.

Been wondering how long it would take for this to happen. And, as always, so eloquent yet incisive, and smarmy to the core.

Same thoughts here, although i'm tempted to join these guys this time round, I personally do feel Sony has crossed a line this time and as GeoHot said, this is just the begining, if Sony can pull off what they currently trying to do then why would no other company try it on?

They should have redistributed that master key while they were at it. :p

Information is not free... everyone should know this. if not, i will charge you $1.99 to tell you it.

I don't agree 100% with what they are doing but...well...,sony deserve it 100%. I hope they are very carefull and also than they don't cross a line like sony did.

Play with fire, expect to get burned.

It'll be kinda fun watching this unfold in the future...

Most of you people complain because of pirates pirating PC games yet you are fine when
Geo does it.
Technically he didn't but he opened the door so others could and at least the others were smart
enough not to brag about it.

I'm sure Stephen Colbert is flattered that Anonymous is flattered enough to use his hornets' nest analogy.

In case you can't see the image above, here is the full text? I guess all that additional text must be hidden or something. :eek:)

BMfan said:
Most of you people complain because of pirates pirating PC games yet you are fine when
Geo does it.
Technically he didn't but he opened the door so others could and at least the others were smart

Smith & Wesson kills people. Well, technically they don't, but they manufacture the guns and ammo so that murderers can kill people. Your point is invalid.

**Information is not free... everyone should know this. if not, i will charge you $1.99 to tell you it. **

Public libraries provides public with almost limitless information for free; internet, books, movies and music.
You can go to local book store and read their books and magazines for free.
There are many free newspapers.
Public Education is free.
There are many free classes at Colleges.

Me telling you this didnt cost you anything.

I think Sony should just put back in OtherOS, there losing more money and respect this way. Plus the Ps3 is fully hackable seconds after every patch there is nothing they can do just put back in OtherOS, you lost.

Wendig0 said:
BMfan said:
Geo does it.

Smith & Wesson kills people. Well, technically they don't, but they manufacture the guns and ammo so that murderers can kill people. Your point is invalid.
Exactly what point of BFman's are you proving invalid with that terrible analogy?

Anonymous are the ones who sticks their wigwams into hornet nests. They are violating every morally acceptable paradigm regarding hacking!

We've seen China, the USSR, North Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, former Yugoslavia, Sudan, Sierra Leone, El Salvador etcetera - you'd think people around the world have learned by now that changing the society using force is not necessarily a change for the better - and in most cases, actually the exact opposite. And so Anonymous cause may be honorable, but it is quasi-obsolete.

I really liked this statement above:

gwailo247 said:
"Don't do it to someone else if you don't want it to be done to you."

(Irony?)

(laughter) True irony in its greatest form :) . Anonymous are nothing but crackers at the core with some psuedo-righteous and pretentious cause. Even though I admire their work, they are doing it totally wrong and inacceptable. They are not fit to rule anything, and according to myself, should thus not be allowed to change anything.

And what about this new DRM protection crap that they released for the ps3 in the last update ?? Cant even watch a digital copy of a movie that you own.

My point isn't invalid,when Techspot used that early release of crysis 2 most people complained and asked how could Techspot do that,yet geo gives the pirates a way to hack the console and most people are upset that Sony are fighting back.

Back