Another Windows XP won't start problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zarrock

ok, first time here so I'll just describe my problem.

Was using Microsoft word and computer restarted, won't load up again.

The bar stops at the Windows XP loading screen, won't let me into any safe mode or into the previous settings option. I have tried to reboot windows XP from the startup disk, but I always get to the format option and never get the option to repair. I don't know what else to do and I've been looking on the web for a day now.... if anyone has any good options where I can KEEP all my information (absolutely need to) than I need information urgently.

Sorry for the inconvenience and if you need any more information, I'll be gald to help.

Yea, if you are getting to the format screen you are doing it wrong, you are doing it as a clean install, instead of repair install

==========================

Disconnect from the internet until you are finished and can run microsoft update. This can be done by going to www.update.microsoft.com

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below -Don't push R at the first screen press enter then press R
  • To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER. (PRESS ENTER)
  • To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.(Do NOT press R)
  • To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

Accept the License Agreement (F8) and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup.

Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

After the repair install you will have to reinstall updates from Microsoft. Your data will still be intact but the microsoft updates will not.

See, I've done that twice now and when I accept the agreement, I get a choice of which partition to use, a huge one (C: drive) and a 8mb one. I press enter on the C: and it goes right into formatting... I don't know what else I can do from there...

Do you get this option at the "welcome to setup" screen

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

*the first R that I talked about?

========================================

If you can get to a command prompt - sometimes an option - we may be able to do something from there.

I get the first R when you boot from the disk, but not after I try to load windows xp onto one of the hard drives

*cannot get into command prmpt, stops at drivers\MUP.sys at each safe mode

Have you already tried a repair using the recovery console? (the first R - if not try it now)

at the prompt

*Type bootcfg

*This should fix any boot.ini errors causing setup not to see the XP OS install.

*Try the repair install.

----Also I will need any errors you are getting at boot, so we know which files to copy over, from the recovery partition

well, i just thought about it and a better option may be:

1. Type: attrib -h -r -s C:\boot.ini del C:\boot.ini

-let it do it's thing then...

2. Type: BootCfg /Rebuild

This should get rid of any damaged boot.ini, search the disk for systems and make a new one. This might even result in a damaged windows reappearing; but it gives us another chance of getting at the repair

ok, did it give you the error - if not it will be waiting for you in the event viewer once recovered.

Type:

CHKDSK C: /F

careful to make sure you put spaces exactly as above

didn't give me the error, but runs diskcheck when windows loads now. It stoped once on fixing cluster files, restarted and now stops on SN Journal completed... did u want me to type that into the repair from the boot disk..... checkdisk is running a weird scan now anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back