Any advice? I want to be an ISP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigilante

Actually, despite my title, I don't want to be a public ISP. I want to use my highspeed connection, along with my server and phone line, to host a single dialup internet server. Or whatever it's called, PPP, SLIP, etc...

I have my cable Internet, 3Mb. I want my mom to be able to dial my house and get online using XPs normal dialer. My voice phone is not used much, I'm not worried about being able to get voice calls. She has never been online, and there are no good free dialup providers. At least not without loads of software crap and banner ads etc...

At first I thought this may be a simple thing, but some basic googling is not finding what I need.

SO then, can I configure a dialup modem to answer calls and validate a user and bridge to my NIC through my router? I did a search for "PPP server Windows" and other such things but not finding much. This may be better to do on Linux, as most search results clearly has Linux or MACs in their titles.

It would be really cool to just have mom dial my house to get online, until they are ready for their own ISP. And actually, it would be really cool anyways, cause I could dialup my house and get online from anywhere local!
Or am I in over my head?

thx

The better thing to do would be to put Linux/BSD on an old POS computer (really, even a 386 would do) and use that as the dial-in server.

AFAIK you need a server version of Windows to be able to use it as a dial-in server.

Surely someone has writen a Windows dialup server? Hmm.

Ok then, assume I can have a server version of Windows, or load, say, Linspire Linux. What then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back