Any benefit to using HDMI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegasgmc

I just got my first LCD, a 23" Asus. It has VGA, DVI and HDMI inputs and my Radeon 4890 has a DVI to HDMI adapter. I'm using DVI now.Will the HDMI give a better image for normal use and gaming or is it just good for HDTV and BluRay?

DVI & HDMI are interchangable. The sole difference is HDMI carries the sound with it.

It's not really going to give a better image, so you're probably not going to notice a difference. I recommend using HDMI with game consoles since it's easier to work with than component cables, but on PC I usually opt for DVI simply because i like having a secure connection between the video card and monitor; I don't like adapters.

HDMI is going to be better than DVI cable in turn gives you full 1080p HD. Most computer monitors don't have support for HDMI sound playback. On my ACER 23" LCD it's set to 1080p thru HDMI v1.3b.

You will not see a visual difference using HDMI vs DVI. As said earlier, the only thing you could possibly see different is if you were passing audio as well - and if so I doubt you'd be passing that to monitor mounted speakers. You can reach the same resolution with DVI. Catergory 2 HDMI cables (most of the ones out there today) can reach higher resolutions (still all digital and same quality) but I don't know of any devices that will actually push a higher resolution over HDMI.

I use HDMI with my 23" monitor as well, but only with my PS3 and Xbox. I use DVI with the computer and I can't notice a difference in games. 1920x1080 is already an HD resolution so using HDMI isn't really going to be better imo. in a way you're right though, because 1080 progressive scan doesn't appear on monitors like it does on TV screens.

Like Papa said, there is no difference in visual quality. Both are digital, so as long as the signal gets there the quality will be identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back