Any free DVD authoring software that works?

hood6558

I have recently switched to Windows 7 64 bit and I've tried almost a dozen DVD makers and none worked at all. Only one completed, but the file was too big for DVD5 (even though the program said it would fit). The others just didn't do anything or crashed right away. So does anyone have a freeware DVD making program that actually works with Win 7 64 bit? Please if you do, let me know 'cause I'm tired of installing and un-installing crapware. Thanks in advance...

Hi, I tried a few DVD programs with Win 7 32 bit, some don't seem to work, or 'hang' somewhere during compilation.
I have had good results with Imgburn, and have read many times about good results from other users, so it's not just me.
The DVD burner I have used since XP days is Trueburner from Glorylogic, never lets me down, but it's not always possible to find it on the net, but it's free and well worth a try, if you can find it. (Is also called Burnaware), see;
http://www.softwaregeek.com/download/burnaware_free.html
A new one that promises to work with Win 7 is at;
http://www.rcpsoft.net/7burn.html
Would say that if you keep wasting DVD's on these programs, it might be worth looking at trying a different DVD drive, just possible it's playing up somewhere. I have 2 'built-in' DVD drives (Sony & NEC) and an external Samsung, and they all can give different results with different DVD brands.
Also I always use a x4 burn speed as that improves the chances of it actually playing back.

Have you tried DVDFlick? I've only "played around" with its basic functions but it worked for the little I needed to do with it. Let us know your experience if you try it.

Hi, I tried a few DVD programs with Win 7 32 bit, some don't seem to work, or 'hang' somewhere during compilation.
I have had good results with Imgburn, and have read many times about good results from other users, so it's not just me.
The DVD burner I have used since XP days is Trueburner from Glorylogic, never lets me down, but it's not always possible to find it on the net, but it's free and well worth a try, if you can find it. (Is also called Burnaware), see;
http://www.softwaregeek.com/download/burnaware_free.html
A new one that promises to work with Win 7 is at;
http://www.rcpsoft.net/7burn.html
Would say that if you keep wasting DVD's on these programs, it might be worth looking at trying a different DVD drive, just possible it's playing up somewhere. I have 2 'built-in' DVD drives (Sony & NEC) and an external Samsung, and they all can give different results with different DVD brands.
Also I always use a x4 burn speed as that improves the chances of it actually playing back.
Thanks for your reply mike1959, I guess I wasn't clear; I mean DVD authoring software (that converts AVI, MKV, MP4, etc. into VOB files for burning and playing on home DVD players). I use Imgburn with great success, I just can't find a program to convert to DVD format.

Have you tried DVDFlick? I've only "played around" with its basic functions but it worked for the little I needed to do with it. Let us know your experience if you try it.
Tried DVDFlick, DeVeDe, Easy DVD Maker, SoThink DVD creator, and a few others I can't remember because I deleted them. Most didn't work at all. None would complete a usable file.

Hi, This year I downloaded half a dozen videos from youtube (so .flv) and used DVD Flick to convert them to .vob and then Imgburn to do the disc burning. Out of three 10 clip compilations, 2 were fine and one failed. These were to play on a relative's old Samsung standlone player. They did play, I was impressed.
As for conversion between formats, my choice software is Format factory, which is faultless as far as I know, BUT
at this time it does not support .vob. I just launched mine and it showed that there is a new version out, so maybe they have
added that one, I will have a look later.
I have spent a very long time looking for this type of software, but not much about....at least for free.

Its not free, but I've had good luck with ConvertXtoDVD. The only problem I've had with it is some h.264 encoded mkvs aren't supported. Although I'm not entirely sure there wasn't something wrong with the 2 I've had issues with, because other programs complained too even though they'd open in MPCHC and VLC fine.

Its not free, but I've had good luck with ConvertXtoDVD. The only problem I've had with it is some h.264 encoded mkvs aren't supported. Although I'm not entirely sure there wasn't something wrong with the 2 I've had issues with, because other programs complained too even though they'd open in MPCHC and VLC fine.
I had pretty good luck with ConvertXtoDVD in Win XP, but haven't tried it yet with Win7 64bit. I'll try it and let you know how it works out. I did have some luck with Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate (trialware), but it's geared towards portable devices. It will convert any file to VOB file - one big VOB file for the whole movie! So you can't burn with Imgburn, you have to use their built in burner, which first takes about 10 minutes to render it into chapters (ifo,bup,VOB). But it works and only takes about 20 min. for the actual conversion (uses all 4 cores, about 50% total core load), and less than 40 min. total, which is awesome.

Have you tried free DVD Author Plus http://www.deskshare.com/dvd-authoring-burning-software.aspx I personally use it on win 7 64 bit.It lacks a bit of glitter and whistles eg adding menus, but does the job and has never crashed like other freebies.Also can burn cd, iso and copy discs. Hope this helps
I'm now running Windows 8 Pro x64, and I just tried this program - it installed okay into the x86 program folder, but crashed as soon as you open it, every time. So I'm still using Wondershare Converter Ultimate, which is fast and always does the job, it just doesn't have many options or settings, unlike others such as MediaCoder (which also crashes in Win8). So I guess even programs that worked with Win7 x64 won't work with Win8.

Back