Any Hope of Repairing This Speaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinceIP

The speakers that came with my PC when I got it are wonderful. Crisp, great quality output, and a headphone plug on the front for private listening. One day, my speakers just stopped working. This was a very long time ago and I don't remember the details exactly, but I remember turning them on and getting no sound from any speaker on any volume. I checked Windows 98's sound control, checked wires and plugs, etc. No good. I took my speakers down in the basement with a sigh, thinking they were done for good.

After about a month with no sound, I eventually found a local computer hobbyist who ran a business repairing PCs. He had tons of extra parts, and gave me a set of used speakers for free. The problem is, they're terrible. They're meant to be mounted on the side of a certain monitor, which I don't have. They're tall and ugly, slide around and fall a lot, and the wire connecting the left speaker to the right one is tearing so the left speaker's sound goes out sometimes. There also is no more headphone plug, which I'd really really like to have.

I've had these ugly speakers for about a year now. I went and got my old, broken speakers from the basement just to see what would happen. Sound come out of the left one just like it used to, and it still works flawlessly. The right speaker is the problem. No sound at all. When I turn the volume up all the way and put my ear against it, I can just barely hear my music playing, along with lots and lots of low-volume crackle and static.

Is this speaker done for, or can I somehow fix it? I've searched all over Google for some sort of guide, with no luck, but I have learned a few things about cones and woofers. Apparently, at least in all modern stereo speakers, the middle foam piece of a cone can wear away and detatch from the rest of the speaker, causing either no sound or crackling. Maybe this is what happened to my computer speaker?

If it is, then I could probably fix it. Still though, I'm not sure how to even open the thing up. There's no obvious screws anywhere. If anyone can offer me any suggestions (besides buying new speakers), I'd very much appreciate it!

Have you tried using known good speaker wires instead of the ones that are currently connecting the old speakers? Might be worth trying first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back